little black sores/lesions

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lobster omlette, Mar 6, 2012.

1. lobster omlette

lobster omlette Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2011
    first good morning, 2 out of 3 of my chickens have these little black sores/lesions on there hood and the other piece under there chin (excuse my ignorance so fla urbanite here and don't know much about chickens except that they are really cool and I love the fresh eggs!!!) but the lesions aren't wet or oozing thought they might be ticks at first glance but not. I'm feeding them Purina scratch and feed with a little Purina protein feed mixed in with it. They have plenty of water and 3or4 cool shady spots in the yard to relax, but a couple of them haven't laid eggs in 4 days. Hoping it's not nothing serious, meaning get some meds anti-biotics so I can take care of my 3 little girls. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks lobster omlette

2. Leslieb118

Leslieb118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    Louisville
    Can you posts pictures? The "hood" is called a comb and the piece under their chin is called a wattle. It's possible that they are bickering a little and what you're seeing is dried blood spots.

3. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Could be pecking or dry fowl pox (which is usually not a big deal). post a pic if you can!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by