1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Little black things stuck my hens comb.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Robin12, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Robin12

Robin12 New Egg

Nov 5, 2015
    Newbie here,
    one of my three hens had some little black specks the size of fleas stuck to her comb. I picked them off using Vaseline and they did not bleed so I am thinking they some kind of parasite. Did some research and it could be stickfast fleas but they are supposed to have a reddish brown color these are black. I don't have a picture because I picked them off before I found this form. Also called several feed stores but at that point I was calling them mites. No one knew what I was talking about. My question are: Has anyone else had this problem, and what can I treat this with since it is so close to her eyes? Would rather use natural products but will use chemicals if necessary. Thinking I should treat the others too and the coop.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    There are several threads about "stick tight fleas" here on BYC. Here is one to get you started. The thread starter has a photo on page1 (post#1). She tells about what worked for her (treatment) on Post#61
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/431533/please-help-stick-tight-flea-i-think/60
    You may have to use "chemical" to get the infestation under control, then research more "natural/herbal" preventatives once you have resolved your current problem. And yes, I would treat all 3 hens, clean out-treat the coop, bedding, etc.
    Hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by