1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

little blue splash maran chick, blind?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ahobson, Mar 15, 2015.

1. ahobson

ahobson New Egg

Feb 26, 2014
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    We've got a BS maran chick, around three weeks old. She will not startle when hands are in front of her, she lays a lot, and seems to generally not be a typical chick. Are there any tell tale signs or ways I can try to test her sight? We've had her since she was three days old, and she seemed perfectly normal when we first got her, I've just noticed in the past couple of days, that she just just lays down, like all the time. She can find food and water, but isn't too sturdy walking/stumbling towards it, and will lay down by the water or in the food... Any ideas my chicken loving friends?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Eye disorders in chicks can be common. Vitamin E deficiency in the parents can cause cataracts, as well as if the chick has avian encephalomyelitis (AE.) Here is a good link to read about eye disorders and some of the causes: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps031

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by