Little Blues?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Cock-L-Doodle Garoo, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Cock-L-Doodle Garoo

Cock-L-Doodle Garoo In the Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Texas Hill Country
    I bought this pair a couple of months ago at a bird sale. The guy said they were "Little Blues". Some kind of Lemon Blue deveant I guess. They have a very small body with extremely long legs for their size. I just thought they were too cool and had to have them. Has anybody heard of these before? Is this a common breed? I made them their own pen and they have been doing good. In fact the hen just hatched-out this morning.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Crowing

Jan 14, 2008
    They're Lemon Blue Modern Game Bantams. Lemon Blue is a colour variety not a breed. In this case the breed is Modern Game Bantam & Lemon Blue the colour.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  3. Cock-L-Doodle Garoo

Jun 8, 2009
    Texas Hill Country
    OK... NYRED why is there body style with the long legs so different then the other Lemon Blue Modern Game Bantams I have here? I appreciate your expertize.
    [​IMG]

4. blueoval1

blueoval1 Songster

Oct 21, 2008
    Raleigh N.C.
    Quote:That is a pic is of and Old English Game Bantam not a Modern Game Bantam. And he is not lemon blue.

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Crowing

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:That is a pic is of and Old English Game Bantam not a Modern Game Bantam. And he is not lemon blue.

What he said.
    In the first place for him to be a Lemon Blue he'd need to be blue [gray if you will].
    In the second place the defining breed characteristic for Modern Games is the long legs.
    The bird in your second picture is an Old English Game Bantam. Colour is either a Brown Red with too bright a hackle or Black Breasted Red with too dark a saddle.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  6. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Crowing

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington

What he said.
    In the first place for him to be a Lemon Blue he'd need to be blue [gray if you will].
    In the second place the defining breed characteristic for Modern Games is the long legs.
    The bird in your second picture is an Old English Game Bantam. Colour is either a Brown Red with too bright a hackle or Black Breasted Red with too dark a saddle.

Yep, I think maybe a brown red, I think I see breast lacing.

7. Cock-L-Doodle Garoo

Jun 8, 2009
    Texas Hill Country
    OK... Thanks for straightening that out for me.
    What about the hen shown? She's got that "blue"(gray) color.
    Would that be a Lemon Blue?

8. NYREDS

NYREDS Crowing

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Yes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: