Little Bo Peeper.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by birdygal, Oct 3, 2011.

1. birdygal

birdygal Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    We had a Cornish hen nesting with about 8 or so eggs. We were waiting for the big event. Finally a cute little tiny white cotton ball came out. My daughter named it Little BO Peeper. Seemed very strong and healthy. Mother kept it in nesting box for 2 more days and we waited for more to hatch. After the 2 days the next morning she left nest with baby and left the eggs when son opened coop in the morning she was in among all the others on floor with peep. She would not go back to eggs and was too cold so husband said they were dead. We could have put them under heat lamp, but kids never said anything and did not notice until afternoon. why would she do that? did she know the 1 was the only good egg? I am almost glad there is only one since we keep them separate in a cage and was hard to get a hold of on chick and mom to separate them as it was. the baby I so little I was so fussy about something happening to it out in the yard. I did not trust the ducks or guinea fowl with it even. Mommy and peeper are doing well, but still do not get her leaving the other eggs like that. I know she was hungry but?

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    She knows whether or not they will hatch. She can feel their movement in the eggs, she did what chickens do.

3. birdygal

birdygal Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    I was wondering if that might not be it. Thank You. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by