Little Boys In the Women's Bathroom? When Is He Too Old To Follow Mom or His CareGiver?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by kuntrygirl, Dec 19, 2012.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I was at WalMart yesterday and as I was coming out of the women's bathroom, I noticed a mother and her son was in the bathroom and going into a stall. This young boy looked to be about 12 years old. He was about 5 feet tall. He was almost as tall as I was. He didn't appear to be sick or having any medical problems. He was following his mom to one of the bathroom stalls. I'm assuming it was a mother and son. Anyway, I was caught off guard when I say this young boy in the women's bathroom. I do know that mother's will bring their young sons in to the bathroom for obvious reasons at a young age and I totally understand that and I don't have a problem with that.

Without knowing if there was a problem with this young boy or his mother, I really don't know why he was in the women's bathroom. It could have been a medical reason. Perhaps he needed a shot for medical reasons. I just really don't know. Perhaps it was for safety reasons. I have a lot of young nephews and if we were to be travel somewhere to an unfamiliar city, I would be cautious about them being left alone outside the bathroom as they wait on me to come out of the women's bathroom. For safety and security reasons, bringing young boys in the bathroom with their mother is acceptable.

My question is, when is a young boy too old to go into the the womens' bathroom with his mother (if it's not an emergency or sickness or illness)? Should there be unisex bathrooms where mothers and/or fathers bring their children in to take care of their needs?

What do you think?

2. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    I always see young girls behind fathers and young boys behind mothers. I saw a unisex bathroom at a rest stop once. Honestly its not like guys or girls strip down naked in public bathrooms so its not like they would see anything anyway.

3. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

I know there are some places that have family bathrooms, and I think they're very good ideas. I don't think it's really anybody else's businesses telling people when their kids are too old to follow Mom or Dad, but at the same time, it could help other restroom users feel less uncomfortable if the idea was used more.
    That being said, for some smaller companies an extra third bathroom could be a pretty pricy thing. But I don't see why Walmart couldn't afford to, if they wanted to.

4. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Some things like autism, separation anxiety, or other disorders may not be easily identified by watching behavior for a short time. I would rather err on the side of caution, count my blessings, and go about my business with a smile.

Love, Smart Red

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

That was my first thought as well. Autism is really hard to notice in kids unless they are having a tantrum or acting off for their age.

I would be much more disturbed to see a young girl go into a man's washroom.

Though boys in dressing rooms always has me feeling extremely uncomfortable. That's why I don't go to gyms [​IMG]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Agreed! Far better to err on the side of caution.
    And little girls in the mens' room when I am standing at a urinal makes me feel somewhat uncomfortable, but in today's world a parent has to do what a parent has to do.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  7. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Women's bathrooms always have stalls in the US, so I really don't much care who is in there personally. Men's bathrooms I have been known to go into as an adult when they are single rooms and either the line for the women's is horrendous (I always offer it to everyone ahead of me in the line first...never been taken up on it though), or it is yet again out of hand soap. Urinals mean I won't be walking into any multi-stalled bathrooms for men. X)

8. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Idk, in todays day in age, I'm not too sure, how old my kids would have to be, to leave them alone.. 18?

Thank-fully I have girls and a women myself.. But I think, it's great she's keeping him safe!!

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I think boys in women's bathroom is fine because of the stalls..
    But little girls with men at urinals is disturbing..IMO

1 person likes this.
  10. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    It does sound weird to think about. But again most urinals have those side panels on them. As far as I can remember I don't think I have ever gone to the bathroom with a parent in public. They may have waited outside or happened to use bathroom as well, but I don't remember having to go into girls room with my mother or anything or waiting on dad to use the bathroom.

Its weird on both sides. My history teacher says that unisex bathrooms are far more common in europe than they are here. That we also didn't have male and female bathrooms until they had bathrooms for blacks and whites.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by