1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

little brown spots on egg yolk

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by boykin2010, Jan 9, 2011.

1. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    This morning i found out after i cracked open a couple of my eggs, that there was little brown spots in the yolk of the egg. What is this? Is it safe to eat? Could it possibly be something that a pullet laid. I have 2 pullets that are just starting to lay. I also dont have a rooster just 10 hens.

2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I do believe they are called 'meat' spots. I think it is when the yolk is released from the follicle, some of it breaks off and follows the yolk down the fallopian tube (infundibulum) and gets the rest of the egg put around it. It is safe and she is alright, it will come and go. I expected it to stop as my hens aged, but now that they are starting up again after the winter slow down, I am seeing more of it.

3. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    ok thank you.

4. pnuts

pnuts Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    my chickens do that too and it does look kind of unappetizing. i crack them in a bowl first to see if they have them and some of them do and some of them dont. i give the ones that do have meatspots back to the chickens to eat:) they love it

5. rowdy726

rowdy726 New Egg

Feb 26, 2013
    They love eating eggs... But i try not feeding them to the chickens There is nothing worse than a hen who breaks eggs to eat them. Then the nest is a mess as well as if there are anymore eggs in the nest

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by