Little chick has a weird beak....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickensarefamily2me, Jun 2, 2011.

1. chickensarefamily2me

chickensarefamily2me Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    Argyle, Texas
    Lots of problems today......... Ugh.....

Anyway, my school hatched some bantam chicks and I got to take three home. [​IMG] I got a little black one, and brown and gray one, and a light brown one.

My little black one has a messed up beak. The bottom part is slightly off to the side, just enough that the bottom tip is to the left in a facial veiw. They don't match up whatsoever. She eats and drinks fine, but I just want some advice on how to take care of her. What should I do? I know she'll need special treatment. And I'd better hope all three of these chicks are girls. They aren't pullets. Ebony would be killed if she was a he.

Anyone have a name for my little light brown one???

2. kimntep

kimntep Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    Sounds like what I've heard called "cross beak" and I've not had any experience, but many here have. You'll get some help soon! Good luck!

3. thegreatfandango

thegreatfandango Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    If she can eat and drink fine then your ok for now, its when she gets older and moves on to different feed you'll have to watch. She may need her food ground more or smaller grit. Other than that you shouldn't have to worry. I mean there is a parrot breed that has a crossed beak and they do just fine. I also wouldn't use her to breed since she might pass it on to her chicks, unless you plan of making a new breed of cross-beaked chickens![​IMG]

4. chickensarefamily2me

chickensarefamily2me Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    Argyle, Texas
    Thank you very much for your help!! I have any roos, due to the fact of my extremely different breed pool. I'm glad to have Bantams again, because mine recently passed away.

My newbies are sitting on a plate, because I'm attempting to get them to eat. They are! <3

Speckles is the gray and light brown winged chick, Ebony is slightly cross beaked, and the light brown one needs a name! Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

5. ThornyRidge

ThornyRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    yup sounds like crossed beak.. I had a chick hatch like that once.. he actually developed into a fine rooster.. just had a crooked beak.. gave him some personality.. you have to watch if it is severe it will impact them being able to eat/drink.. this problem did not affect mine.. he ate and drank fine and grew large. it is a characteristic that pops up once in a while.. I would not necessarily continue to use that particular chicken ( be it hen or rooster) for additional breeding however.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by