Little chick is chirping so loudly, is she okay?

ChocoboMamma

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2015
I have half a dozen little tsc girls in a brooder box in my living room, occasionally one of them will just start peeping as loud as her little lungs will let her. She does little spurts of 4-6 peeps, and does it anywhere from once to like 6 times. She's eating, pooping and drinking normally, her crop seems fine, and I looked her over and she didn't appear to have any injuries. If I go near the box she goes quiet. Which meant it took FOREVER to figure out who was doing it. Any advice or thoughts as to why she might be doing this would be super. Thanks!

I don't have a thermometer in there, as last time I found it useless, and had a better time gauging by where the chicks were in the brooder as compared to the heat lamp. That said, or house has been upwards of 75 and the brooder is significantly warmer than that. I actually cooled it down a touch because they were all staying as far from the light as possible. Now they all are staying midway between the cool and hot side. She does stop the peeping as soon as I get within sight of the brooder. Also she and one other are a little smaller than the rest. With less feather development.

As long as you've made certain she's eating, pooping, and acting normally in every other respect and the chick isn't too hot or too cold, you can just chalk up her determined chirping as being overly opinionated. She also may be trying to manipulate you. Don't be fooled by her tiny size. She knows what she's doing.

Yeah she's definitely acting totally normal in every other respect. The worst part is that she keeps doing that while everyone else (including me) are sleeping. I can definitely see that she might be doing it for attention. Especially because it stops the moment i get close to the box.

Hi! I am new to raising chicks and had the same problem. Is that chick being picked on? Is the chick stressed? Is the temp. on your heat lamp too high or low? It could just want attention. My chick kept me awake awhile chirping super loud! She may also have pasty butt. You can look up how to prevent it. Most of the time it will just be stress. Hope this helps!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Now she's got somewhat foamy poop and is being noisy even when I'm holding her if I don't pet and shush her too. Also she keeps "yawning".

To clarify the difference between chirping for attention and chirping because the chick is in distress, the former quits when the chick sees its human. The later is non-stop regardless.

A very sick chick will chirp non-stop. It has no off switch. If you darken the brooder, content chicks will go to sleep and will be silent all night. If one of them is in pain or feeling sick, it will keep chirping.

"Yawning" may indicate an uncomfortable crop. Try gently massaging the crop with a finger in a downward and circular motion. It may help the contents to empty, giving the chick relief from any discomfort it may be experiencing.

x2 what azygous said. I had noticed that one chick of mines belly was getting concave instead of being like a ball, like the others. I noticed it, and for whatever dumb reason I didnt look into it and it died. then a second started with it. I knew I had a real problem. Started all on Corid and besides a couple weeks of stunted growth, the sick chick revcovered and is thriving.

Back
Top Bottom