1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Little Chick is Scared of Me?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SillyChick, Jan 2, 2008.

1. SillyChick

SillyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Went to the coop this morning to check on my feathered friends. I noticed that the feeder is empty, so I took out the feeder. But, my little 1-month old Rhode Island Red chick seems to be scared or angry at me. When I put my hand in the coop, she will pose as if she was going to jump at me(she crouched or something, like a dog preparing to attack). When I approached further, she jumped and ran away. She did this thrice. I didn't do something bad to her or anything.........yesterday I let them free-range and she was asking me to let her sit on my lap. I let her sit on my lap, rub her back and chest, seemed so happy, then went to sleep. Today, I carried her in my hand, then she sat calmly as if nothing happened. Is this a problem?

Thanks in advance!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Chickens are all silly. I wouldn't worry.

3. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    I'm thinking it could be early "roo behavior".

I have 2 white silkies I got at about 4 to 5 weeks old and put them in with some new hatches.
    If I reached in the brooder to get one of the chicks, one of the silkies would lower his head, spread his wings, and act as if he was gonna attack my hand.
    I thought it was funny, but my oldest DD wouldn't put her hand in there.
    After the silkies got used to being handled, he doesn't do it now.
    I'm not sure if mine is a girl or boy but I'm thinking my used to be agressor is a roo.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I think she's playing. I see my hens do that to eachother all the time.

5. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    My chickens never did it that early, but they would kinda squat down and brace themselves a little *blush* for an act of procreation , as if I were a rooster!

6. indianchick

indianchick New Egg

Jan 3, 2008
    Mine did that too! she actually pecked me on my right hand and left a briuse. I am a lot more careful now. She does not let me pick her up and tries to attack when I do go near her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by