Little chick less than 12 hours old ~ how to fix foot? Pic included.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GaNewChick, May 5, 2009.

1. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    Do I put some kind of splint on the bottom of the foot to flatten it out for a day or two. The leg seems to work fine, it is just the foot that doesn't spread out.

If so, how should I fix it and with what?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    I'm not sure what to tell you, so I hope that some one else will comment and give you some advice.....here's a bump! Good luck:)

3. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    Is it leg or foot? If it is the foot, flatten the foot and tape a small piece of cardboard to the bottom. Keep the cardboard taped on it for about a week and change every cople days to keep the tape from getting to tight.

4. RightFromtheStartDoula

RightFromtheStartDoula Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    Wallkill
    I just had a chick with the same thing except it was both feet up to the ankle joint and I had to cull him...I treid the splits and hand fed him for 24 hours but he couldn't even get around by himself...

Your's looks better then mine and I hope the splint works for you...
    and you are right..put a piece of cardboard on bottom of toes and bandaid to hold toes inplace with the white pad part of the bandaid on the bottom on the foot....

Good luck...

5. melissa508

melissa508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    ma
    i had a guinea with 2 bad feet..this is what i did & it worked, took a few days though. its pipe cleaners with some type of medical tape.

[​IMG]

here he is as an adolescent..his feet turned out perfect[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  6. GaNewChick

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    Thanks everyone! Will this work? I still need to trim it down to size. He hatched overnight ~ I'm assuming he doesn't need food/water for the next 24 hours or so. He isn't able to walk on it right now. It is a bandaid with tape and change it every other day?

[​IMG]

7. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    Don't see why it shouldn't work, you should know in about a weeks time.

8. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    Thats what I have done was put the feet between two pieces of tape. Feet were ok later..

Ive also had a chick that didnt walk for 4 days.. I kept making it drink sugar water. And I told myself I was going to cull it on the morning of the 5th day.. And I woke up that morning before the kids. And couldnt find it any where.. The reason.. It was walking around.. Dont give up.. He may be strong enough to pull through..

9. GaNewChick

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    Thanks! We'll give it a go.

10. jenni2142

jenni2142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South Carolina
    just make sure it doesn't continue to sit on it's hocks, injury to those could prevent it from walking. maybe towels under it to keep it cushy if it does sit on them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by