• Abscess

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Infection

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ReBecca-Ann

Hatching
Aug 10, 2018
She’s smaller than the rest of my girls. She is eating and drinking. However she is almost always roosting. Large knot, feels hot to the touch. Any thoughts or help appreciated.

Attachments

• 8ECA6DEA-2F0F-4CFE-AFA8-91D4EC3520A1.jpeg
    8ECA6DEA-2F0F-4CFE-AFA8-91D4EC3520A1.jpeg
    358.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 2526C09C-55A0-436A-9283-07A8C0BC5A4C.jpeg
    2526C09C-55A0-436A-9283-07A8C0BC5A4C.jpeg
    518.7 KB · Views: 18
Welcome To BYC!
Can you post a couple of whole body photos, preferably her standing on her own?
How old is she?
What are you feeding her?
Is her crop empty by morning?
What does her poop look like?
You may want to just clean that area, flush with a little saline and apply a triple antibiotic ointment to the scab.
The "lump" - how does that feel - hard, soft, squishy, fluid filled, air filled?
upload_2018-12-9_22-7-14.png

Welcome To BYC!
Can you post a couple of whole body photos, preferably her standing on her own?
How old is she?
What are you feeding her?
Is her crop empty by morning?
What does her poop look like?
You may want to just clean that area, flush with a little saline and apply a triple antibiotic ointment to the scab.
The "lump" - how does that feel - hard, soft, squishy, fluid filled, air filled?
View attachment 1612274
It’s swollen a little more today and feels hard not squishy

She’s smaller than the rest of my girls. She is eating and drinking. However she is almost always roosting. Large knot, feels hot to the touch. Any thoughts or help appreciated.
Is the black thing on her keel bone?
Swollen shiny thing near the crop?
yes it’s pretty close to keel bone, possibly right on and the shiny pary is all round and stretches mainly down her belly

Attachments

• 4521D5C8-21E2-422E-A301-C506944FF0A5.jpeg
    4521D5C8-21E2-422E-A301-C506944FF0A5.jpeg
    573.3 KB · Views: 11
It’s swollen a little more today and feels hard not squishy

yes it’s pretty close to keel bone, possibly right on and the shiny pary is all round and stretches mainly down her belly
Can you take her to a vet?
I'm not sure what that is. If it were just a scab, then I would say it's from roosting all the time, but coupled with the swelling, it may be abscess or tumor(?)

Hopefully someone like @Eggcessive will chime in with their thoughts.

I would agree that the dark scab may be from roosting most of the time. Chickens can develop breast blisters that can turn into scabs or abscesses. Also, it would be good to know if the shiny rounded area is her crop, and if it empties overnight. Does she have any signs of a respiratory infection, such as watery/bubbly eyes, swelling of eyelids, nasal drainage or sneezing? Is she eating or drinking. Are her poops normal or runny or any blood in them?

It would be good to clean the scab with Betadine or Chlorhexidene mixed with water. If it seems like an abscess, it may need to be lanced and cleaned out. I would worry that she may be suffering from coccidiosis or a respiratory infection, since she is so inactive. What do you think?

Can you take her to a vet?
I'm not sure what that is. If it were just a scab, then I would say it's from roosting all the time, but coupled with the swelling, it may be abscess or tumor(?)

Hopefully someone like @Eggcessive will chime in with their thoughts.
I did. My vet told me he doesn’t do chickens. Looked at her from a distance and said this is no place for chickens. I will try another vet...probably an hour a way.

Back
Top Bottom