Little Chick sleeps more and shakes!?!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cassey, May 20, 2016.

1. Cassey

Cassey Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2016
    Rural
    Hello! I am a first time chicken owner. We have a chick about 3-4 weeks old. She is different than the rest. She lays down alot, shakes while standing or layiing down sometimes. The other chicks step on her when she sleeping or laying down and she doesn't care. She seems to drink lots and doesn't eat much. Sometimes she limps while walking and lays down. Can any body help me? Thanks!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. I would put vitamins and electrolytes in the water and make sure that she is drinking, or give it with a dropper. Offer some chopped egg and a bit of plain yogurt to the chick. Coccidiosis can be common at this age, and it can cause weakness, lethargy, runny droppings with mucus or blood, hunched or puffed up posture, and not eating. Corid in the water can treat that. It can be found at most feed stores, and dosage is 1 1/2 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5 days. AE or avian encephalomyelitis can cause lameness, and trembling, and affects chicks under a month of age. Let us know how the chick gets along.

3. Cassey

May 20, 2016
    Rural
    Eggcessive, thank you for all the information. We figured out what the problem is that she has a broken leg. Do you have any information about healing a chicken leg? We also figured out "she" is a rooster. Again, thank you for your help.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  5. Cassey

May 20, 2016
    Rural
    Hi. He is very healthy. His leg healed in it's own. Thanks for all your help. God bless.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is great news, and thanks for the update.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by