Little chick with white thing one eye...HELP.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sunne73, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Sunne73

Sunne73 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    One of my new chicks (5 days old) is keeping her eye closed. Its not swollen or pussy but the area underneath the eye which is usually black is red and when I open her eye (much to her dismay) I see a tiny white spot. What is this and what can I do about it? [​IMG]

2. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Sorry ): bump

3. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Hi Sunne73,

A photograph would really help. It's quite hard to know what you're describing or how to help without being able to visualise.

But my thought would be some kind of sharp impact, e.g. another bird's beak, a piece of sticking-out wire... That's only guessing of course.

It may be a good idea to bathe the eye/eyelid with salty water (one teaspoon salt per one cup boiled cooled water). You could also use betadine (iodine) but I'm not sure that's the best thing to get in the eye, so perhaps salt water might be better.

Incidentally, when chicks are quite small, they're pretty vulnerable to wild birds like crows, which will often gang up to chase birds from one side to the other (each taking it in turn to peck through the wire). I had about 10 chicks all get pecked eyes when 2 crows worked together. It amazed me that the crows were able to attack through bird wire and hit each and every chicks' eyes, but they did. [​IMG] Fortunately in my case the damage was only to the eyelids and eye surrounds.

Hope you can get a pic,
    cheers
    Erica

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by