1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Little chick wont give up

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 4H kids and mom, May 5, 2007.

1. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Ok, you guys know me, I'm a softy with a tough outer shell...lol I see the chickens as bringers of eggs (someday) but right now they are so darn cute! [​IMG]

Anywho, after all the hatchery boo-boos our brooder looks like an elementary school with chicks of all ages and sizes. [​IMG] One little California white chick is struggling.

First, my "tough outer shell" told me to leave it be, and she wasnt strong enough to make it, then so be it. Well, today I watched while she huddled under the light and other chicks were stepping on her. [​IMG] When she finally moved a little I noticed her bottom was pasty, so I took her in to clean her up. About an hour later, she was pasty again, so I clean her up again, making sure to dry her really well this time. When I checked her awhile later, she was pasty AGAIN so this time I cleaned her bottom, dried her off, and then clipped the feathers on her bottom nice and short. Ah ha! No more pasty! [​IMG]

She is very weak, and wobbly. She is half the size of the other chicks her age (about 4 days old) and hardly eats or drinks. Although, after I trimmed her bottom, when I went out to tuck them in before locking them up for the night, she was gently pecking at some feed spilled on the brooder floor, so I have SOME hope for her.

The kids have named her Willto (which they got from me saying "If she's going to live she's got to have the will to...") and are out there all the time talking to her and encouragin her to pull through. We've experienced a few losses with this weird batch, but this chick seems special somehow.

I am keeping their heat up for now until she gets better (or, passes... [​IMG] ) even though my 1 weekers are complaining. So I rearranged the lights so that one end of the brooder maintains the 95 degrees, and the other end stay around 80-85 which is what the older chicks like. Willto stays under the lights mainly, but is starting to try to move around a bit more. I'm hoping it was just stress and the pasty bottom that was taking her, and she'll pull through this. The kids are awful attached to her.....and a certain "softy" spent an hour tonight getting her to drink a little and singing lullabies to her before bed, but I won't say WHO.... [​IMG]

2. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    You are to funny. I sure hope she pulls through for the ole softy.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Awww, poor little willtoo. [​IMG] ( cute name by the way) I sure hope she pulls through. I am sure the pasty butt had everything to do with it...and lets see...who would sing to a sick baby chick...a MOM!!! HAHA!!

4. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Okay...I can't stand it! HOW'S LITTLE WILLTO NOW???

5. iopele

iopele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Texas
    Aww, how sweet! I don't blame you for being a big softy--when you see soft, cute, chirpy little babies, how could you not be a softy??? I'm totally the same way. My Araucanas aren't due to arrive for another week and a half (waah, I want them now!) but my dad has two baby Welsummers, so I'm "practicing" the baby chick petting and handling on them. Have to get skilled at chick cuddling before *my* babies get here, right?

:aww

6. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Well, Willto made it through another night, and today she seems a bit stronger. [​IMG] I saw her drink and eat a little on her own today too. She is still VERY weak, and often gets knocked over by the stronger chicks, but at least now she can get back up instead of staying down and being stepped on. We are hopeful with this little one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by