Little chick wound - Help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GrandRapidsGirl, Mar 24, 2013.

1. GrandRapidsGirl

GrandRapidsGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2013
    I just got six little chicks the other day. I've had to really watch a couple that were pasting up. Tonight I noticed that the runt had pasted up again so I went to clean it up and notices an opening on its belly near its vent ( but, definitely was not it's vent- another hole altogether.) It oozes a tan colored goop and had just a little bit of blood on it. I don't know what to do and I am blaming myself for possibly causing the problem. Could I have wounded it cleaning it up after it pasted up? What do I do now? Please help!

2. mnferalkitty

mnferalkitty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    It might of got pecked on by the others. Are they newly hatched? sounds like where the umbilical attached just leave it alone and it should dry up try not to get that part wet and make sure the others aren't picking on it

3. GrandRapidsGirl

Jan 31, 2013
    It is newly hatched. Less than I week old. I did see the biggest chick peck at it a couple of times right before I checked the runt for pasting. How do I stop them from picking on it? I only saw it happen once and it wasn't very aggressive.

4. mnferalkitty

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    Chicks do that. I think that was just chicks being chicks, if you are worried about it you can a divide your brooder somehow and make a seperate area for the chick just make sure it can still get in and out of heat source

5. GrandRapidsGirl

Jan 31, 2013
    On another post I saw someone refer to the spot where my chick is having this problem as the navel. Is that where the umbilical cord would have been? It is just kind of gaping open. Is there anything I can do to close it? Superglue?

6. mnferalkitty

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    Yes that would be the naval thats where they absorb the yolk sack etc. I would just leave it alone, I have found the more you mess with things the worse they get, if you must do something then put neosporin on it

7. GrandRapidsGirl

Jan 31, 2013
    Thank you for the help. It survived the night and seems to be doing fine. Whew!

8. GrandRapidsGirl

Jan 31, 2013
    Now it's dead at one week old. So, so sad. My first chicken death.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by