Little Chicks and Adult Birds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ILuvsChicks, Aug 15, 2013.

1. ILuvsChicks

ILuvsChicks Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2013
    Missouri
    I've got six week old chicks hatched in an incubator. My broody box was nothen more than a card broad box from a washer we had bought cut down to about 20 inches and put in the coop with the rest of the birds. It's my understanding I can't just turn them loose in the coop with the adult birds without a mother hen to protect them. I've got a 1000 sq feet run totally inclosed. So I built a mini coop for the chicks. I plan to partition about a third of the run off for the chicks. I plan to put a 3 or 4 foot fence for the partition. I figure once the chick start flying over the fence they will be ready to be with the other birds. So the question is, 'how high should the fence be? 3 foot or 4 foot?'
    From what I understand the danger from the adult birds happen in the coop. I need not worry about the adult birds flying over the fence to attack the chicks, do I?

2. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    The bigger birds will peck at them. So long as they can hide and get away from the bigger birds they should be okay. I thought that once grown they would blend into the flock. That never happened with any of my chickens. I had two sometimes three separate flocks even when a flock was down to one. They just never integrated fully.
    Caroline

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I would make that fence 4' or higher and make sure to keep the adults on their side. Chickens are naturally curious and if they think there is something interesting going on in that chick pen they are going to fly over and investigate. Especially when they see you feed the chicks.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Some mean old hen may indeed go over the fence to chase the littles. Plus, chickens are curious, as mentioned, and I'd think several would go over the fence just to see what's there that wasn't before. I'd put some type of roof, or make the fence taller, like 6 foot. I've had dead chicks when I've tried to introduce them under 4 months, so I'm a little gun shy.

5. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    I just spent the day splitting my coop in two. I have 3 different ages and I have integrated 2 successfully but this new batch is she and flighty and the big girls are just so mean to them. I got sick of watching them spend the entire day on the outside roost so I splint both the coop and run in two. It isnt quite done but was a LOT of work.

6. ILuvsChicks

ILuvsChicks Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2013
    Missouri
    "They just never integrated fully" "I've had dead chicks when I've tried to introduce them under 4 months"
    That doesn't sound good. I went with the 4 foot fence. I can add 2 more foot if needed. They do have plenty of hiding. Coop was built in the woods. Any tree in the coop I just cut to 2 feet of the ground. It's like a lots of bushes in there now. I'll see how it goes. I can't make a new coop every time I get new birds. Mine are Turkens and Silkies. So far they don't seem to be mean birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by