1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Little Chicks' big adventure at school.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Queen of the chickens, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Queen of the chickens

Queen of the chickens Chirping

Oct 7, 2011
    Unionville, MO
    My chicks are 9 days old and thriving, so I decided they could survive a trip to the child care center where I work. I teach toddlers and twos. They were sooo excited to see the chicks. I was amazed at how gentle they were with them. One little girl giggled every time the baby chick touched her hand and said, "It tickles!" I also visited the preschool rooms with them. Those children were full of questions. Do they fly? Where do they sleep? Where are there beds? Why do you need a rooster to get baby chicks? (uh-oh!) I encourage you to offer to bring your chicks to a school or center near you. They will enjoy it and so will you!

2. Tressa27884

Tressa27884 Songster

Mar 27, 2011
    Cooper, Texas
    So fun! I'm in school right now to be a preschool teacher and I recently took my service dog into one of the classrooms with me. The kids were so delighted to meet him, and when I told the teacher I had chickens too - she asked if I'd bring chicks in. I'm hatching some today just for the kids [and me] to enjoy. Thanks for sharing!

3. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    I used to take bunnies and chicks to visit at my kids' school, but the local school system got paranoid about animals of all kinds (yes, I know, there are allergies to think about - but I think the other kids are missing out big time). We have done Easter Egg hunts and other parties; I always make sure the bunnies I take are too young to sell at that time (to avoid the impulse buyer). There are a couple of toy stores that we do every year; the owner tells me she gets inquiries about the bunnies two months in advance. We get everything from teenagers to toddlers - controlled chaos, but I wouldn't miss it for anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by