1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Little chicks cripled!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Poultryraiser, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Poultryraiser

Poultryraiser Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2008
    How do you cure a chicks curled feet? cripeld forever? need help!!

2. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Is it just the toes? If so you can make a plastic shoe just a little bigger than their foot and tape their toes and foot in the correct position. It is sometimes related to lack of correct vitamins too. The plastic from margarine or cottage cheese containers has worked well for me. There is also a method using pipe cleaners, but I have never had great luck getting them to stay on the feet.

3. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    sometimes this is genetic
    sometimes it happens in the egg
    but it also can be vitamin related..(especially riboflavin and/or magnesium)..riboflavin is B12 vitamin)

get some the chick vitamins ASAP..
    make sure it is eating and drinking..

did this just start?
    how old is the chick?

4. Screebert

Screebert Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2007
    Oregon City, OR
    It depends, I guess.
    How were the chicks hatched? I once had 2 crippled chicks hatch from a single egg. They had a "lame" leg each, and both died a couple of days later. Those chicks were doomed.

I think, if the chick was born healthy, then it has a much better chance of regaining full use of its leg/foot.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by