1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

little chicks in farmersville

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bettyjhyde, Apr 21, 2012.

1. bettyjhyde

bettyjhyde New Egg

Apr 21, 2012
    Farmersville, Ohio
    got our chicks on thursday, lost two of them today, they have lots of water and a clean wooden box, with a light. they seem to be happy, what should i look for. don't want to lose any more of them. thanks

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  2. CorinneP

CorinneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Up State New York
    Very sorry for your loss ! Where did you get the chicks from ? If they are active and running around and eating starter and drinking water I would assume they are doing well. Sometimes when I have a tiny or weaker chick I give them tiny bits of pedialite in a cap just a couple dips about every half hour .. If they really seem very weaK if I can get them to take a dab of crumbled egg yolk (cooked) mashed softly with a bit of water I get a bite ot two in them .. seems like the protein and electrolytes and a days rest usually picks them right up .. I watch the new chicks together quite a bit, as I have seen especially if several are in the same box.. where they can really beat them up especially if they are weak . Do you have a thermometer in the box some heat lamps really put off a ton of lamp, I actually had to suspend mine higher up over the box as I noticed the heat was going up over 100 degrees ..

3. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi && Welcome!!!
    [​IMG]

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Sometimes young chicks just expire. If the others are eating and active, they should be ok.

5. CorinneP

CorinneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Up State New York
    Bettyjhyde; I Ordered some special chicks through the mail from a place I have ordered from before with great luck .. Out of 20 one arived dead and I lost two this morning that were small and I had seen were week . With all the TLC I could give them they both passed away in the night .. The other 17 seem to be thriving.. I guess its just a sad fact of raising Chickens .

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. So sorry for your loss, just make sure they aren't eating the bedding instead of food. I use a towel or something over the bedding for the first couple of days so they learn what is food. But, some chicks just don't have the will to survive. Good luck and enjoy. :thumbsup

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by