Little chicks to sex! Can you help me out?

nataliab

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 14, 2013
Hello everyone! Had a beautiful lucky hatch of almost all 13 eggs. Here are a few babies would like to have your opinion on their sex?! :)

Too cute! I'll take a stab at it (with full understanding its a guess but this type of sexing is only really accurate on specific breeds and day olds at that I believe?)
Girl
girl
Boy
Boy
Girl
Boy
boy
Girl
Pics of the whole chick, beaks and side pics help. What breeds are they?
Hello everyone! Had a beautiful lucky hatch of almost all 13 eggs. Here are a few babies would like to have your opinion on their sex?! :)

ISA Browns are sex links. No need for guessing at wing feathers, just look at the chicks. White/yellow are cockerels and buff/brown/red chicks are pullets. But, since these chicks are a mix, all bets are off.

As said earlier, unless a slow feathering line is bred to a fast feathering line, feather sexing isn't possible. Since these chicks are a cross/mix, there's no feather sexing going to work. Sorry.

Last edited:
What about the ones with a white yellow body and red/buff head? :/ ill take a photo of all

What about the ones with a white yellow body and red/buff head?
hmm.png
ill take a photo of all

The chicks are mixes/crosses. Sexing by appearance is out. Sorry.

What you're going to have to do is simply wait. At six weeks? The cockerels will show themselves with bright red combs and wattles sprouting. The pullets will not sprout much of anything until 12 or 13 weeks. Sexing will be dead easy at 6-7 weeks. Not a problem. Until then? Nah. No way to do it.

Oh ****! I'm residential and can't have too many boys around the yard making noise. I forget with my last roo when he started crowing I think it was actually fairly early maybe 16 weeks? Hmm :/ hope I don't have to get rid of too many :(

As Fred said you will have to wait another 6 or 7 weeks to know how many cockerels. On average 50% will be males, so you may have 6 cockerels. Of course that's an average, so you may have less than that, or you could have more.

Back
Top Bottom