1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Little Confused. . .OK A LOT Confused

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SoaringEagleRanch, Jun 6, 2008.

1. SoaringEagleRanch

SoaringEagleRanch New Egg

Jun 5, 2008
    Hi everyone. This is my first post . . .I think I chose the right index. I am trying to learn all there is to learn about raising chickens. My family is planning to buy a farm (when we move-which will be next March).

My confusion is based on time frames.

Step 1: I order baby chicks and they go in brooder.
    Step 2: At 4 to 5 weeks they come out of brooder. . . and go where?

(Assume this is my second chick purchase and I already have older layers)

Do the young chicks go in with my older layers? Are they to be seperated? If so, at what age can I mix the different ages of hens?

Next ??: Where do you keep the rooster assuming you want to incubated and hatch your own eggs. Does it stay with the hens at all times?

Next ??: Am I supposed to keep laying hens (for eggs) seperate from laying hens (for incubation and hatching)?

Next??: Do I keep meat chicks seperate from everyone?

I appreciate any help offered. I am a very Type A picky personality. . .I tend to want to organize my thoughts and actions in step by step precise details and right now I have myself totally confused.

2. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Quote:[​IMG]
    ok they can be in the brooder lnger than 5 weeks depending on where you live. The chicks should be slowly introduced to the flock when they are ready for the coop. THe light in the brooder should be a red light so they can sleep in peace. The rooster should be with the flock if you only have 1 rooster. You do not keep the layers seperate. If you are planning on free-ranging your birds the rooster will mate with all of them. you just need to bet the eggs before the chicks develop. For meat chicks, they should be kept in a pen where they have just themselves (but I am sure some people mix them). Good Luck!

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Great answers ticks! [​IMG]

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Step 1: I order baby chicks and they go in brooder.
    Step 2: At 4 to 5 weeks they come out of brooder. . . and go where?

You order them and they go into the brooder but not for necessarily only 4 - 5 weeks. Depending on when they arrive and the weather, they may need to stay inside a bit longer until they are full feathered (8 - 10 weeks old). Then they go into the coop and run.

Do the young chicks go in with my older layers? Are they to be seperated? If so, at what age can I mix the different ages of hens?

Some hens will accept chicks but others may try to killl them. It is best to integrate them slowly when they are the same size and can defend themselves. Example you can put the young ones in and watch for trouble or make a separation panel of chicken wire so the can see each other and get used to each other before you let them interact and live together.

Next ??: Where do you keep the rooster assuming you want to incubated and hatch your own eggs. Does it stay with the hens at all times?

Most keep the rooster with several hens that he likes and they accept him. The trio or foursome are kept separately from the rest of the chickens. Then you can gather your fertilized eggs for incubating.

Next ??: Am I supposed to keep laying hens (for eggs) seperate from laying hens (for incubation and hatching)?

Same as above. I would not mixed breeding chickens with my laying flock unless you only have a few and can eat all the eggs freshly if you are not incubating them.

Next??: Do I keep meat chicks seperate from everyone?

It is suggested that you do...meat chickens will mature much faster and be ready for slaughter at around 8 - 12 weeks. Your layers will not layer until 18 - 20 weeks usually.

The main things to keep in mind is that these are animals and animals live by the rule that the strong survive and the weak are killed. Even in hens who are broody and meant to be mamas can turn on a chick, especially one that is not her own, and kill it. There are methods of giving a broody hen newly hatched babies that are most often successful. Take the time to read all the forums here and all the posts....must valuable information is here to be had.

I understand Type A very well as I have lived with it for 45 years. I used to be very obsessive compulsive (ie ultra picky) about things too but a stroke woke me up to the needlessness of that. [​IMG]

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Soaring eagle...(nice name by the way)...I started here just a few weeks ago and had NO chickens. NOW I have 18 in brooder and 12 more on the way from Ideal this WED! You are SO in the right place to learn whatever you need to learn. I had three sick chicks when I got them and because of what I learned here I was able to mend them and now they are thriving big time. I wish you luck with the new farm [​IMG] Sounds exciting [​IMG] Chicks are SOOO fun...see video of mine here ----> http://journals.aol.com/breakaway1968/hangin-wit-my-peeps/

Carrie

6. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Welcome and have a blast with your farm and chicken plans!!

7. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Hi and Welcome to BYC!!

My first batch of chicks lived in the brooder until they were almost 10 weeks old! Ideally, I would prefer they go outside to the hen house as soon as they are feathered out, as long as the weather cooperates (not too cold).

Generally you can't mix young chicks and older chickens until they are the same size. Then, you will want to have the younger chicks somewhere that they can all see each other for a few days/week before actually putting them together. Hopefully everybody will integrate without any serious issues. Keep an eye on them in case you get a nasty chicken who draws blood on somebody else.

Your Rooster can be with all his girls. The eggs will all be fertile but you collect them everyday and eat them just like without having a Roo.

If a hen goes Broody (you can't make her), you will want to separate her in one nest area so that she stays on the right eggs and the other hens don't mess with her eggs or her. Some people move their broodies to a dog crate, I moved mine to an old rabbit hutch.

Most people keep their meat chicks separate from their layers. The meat birds are incredibly messy (think lots of poop!).

I live with a Type A, very picky, man (whom I love) ... he sounds just like you.

8. SoaringEagleRanch

SoaringEagleRanch New Egg

Jun 5, 2008
    Thank you so much for your quick responses and assistance.

Once I reviewed the answers, what I had been reading and taking notes on made a lot more sense.

I know I tend to make things much harder than they really are. . . which means. . . you will probably be seeing a lot of questions on here.

Again, thank you. Have a blessed day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by