Little coop, free ranging, and best boxes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mamamama124, Sep 18, 2018.

1. mamamama124

mamamama124 In the Brooder

Apr 19, 2018
    Texas
    The title should say NEST boxes...not best boxes. Dang autocorrect!

We have 3 buff orps that are about 21 weeks old. They have a small coop with built in nest boxes and a small run...they free range every day. I had to block off the nest boxes because they were sleeping in them. I'm wondering if I should open them back up. I dont want them sleeping in them again. They pretty much ignore their coop and run during the day so will they even bother going back to get in a nesting box? Or do I need to set a nesting box out in the yard? I'm looking for advice and ideas! Please and thank you!

Rick M and True Patriot like this.
  2. True Patriot

True Patriot Sanity is subjective

May 20, 2018
    Liberty Co, Georgia
    My Coop
    You should see signs before they start laying, their Combs will fill out and get red, they'll start squatting, and they'll be looking around for likely nest locations. When any of these start I would open up the boxes. As far as another box outside, that's up to you. I only have one community box in the coop, door waist high to the outside. I don't want extra work when I collect the rent. If you're willing to check multiple locations that's fine. They'll most likely all use the same one, I'd go with what's easiest for you.

mamamama124, Aceoky and Rick M like this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd open nests and just make sure they don't sleep in them.
    There are ways to prevent it.
    Pics of your coop showing roosts and nests would help.

4. mamamama124

Apr 19, 2018
    Texas
    stock photos of the little coop/run I'm using. The roosting bars are really close to the nesting boxes.

Attached Files:

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    True Patriot and mamamama124 like this.
  6. mamamama124

Apr 19, 2018
    Texas
    True Patriot and aart like this.