Little Cucko Marans Chick with feet problem!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crash0330, Jul 18, 2010.

1. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Do you guys know what can I do to help this little guy, his toes are croocked, but that doesnt seems to stop him hes playful and full of life like her other brothers but Im worried what this would mean for her or him in the future!
    [​IMG]

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Have you tried splinting them at all yet ?- You may still be able to get them a little straighter for him. Some people have had chickens that were more deformed in the feet than this one- and they lived normal lives. Best of luck with this little one- I hope he continues to show spirit and has a wonderful life- whatever it brings.

3. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Other than not winning a beauty contest for toes it will be just fine..it was without a doubt an incubation issue.We have a hen worse than that..she roosts fine and pretty much runs her own show [​IMG]

4. MiniBeesKnees

MiniBeesKnees Chillin' With My Peeps

There are posts with pictures of how to splint with tape but if I remember correctly it has to be done within some time period of hatching...
    Basically you straighten out the toes, and use tape...sticky side to sticky side with the toes in between the tape pieces...to hold the toes in place.
    It is a non-invasive procedure so I doubt if it would hurt if you tried it even if the chick is 'too old'....

5. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Like this:

[​IMG]

6. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Little paddle foot splints like in Wardens photo. I have only had to do it once and it worked like a charm. Used cereal box weight cardboard and regular bandaides. Your little one is older but I think it is still worth a try. Walking on crooked toes as a baby is a lot easier than when it is a full grown chicken.
    BTW after splinting for 10 days I can`t even notice the difference in our chick`s toes now at 4 weeks...although we won`t use that one for breeding just in case the cause was genetic. It can also be caused by a riboflavin deficiency and some people have luck with vitamins also...poly-vi-sol without iron (I did alot of reading and searching about this [​IMG].
    Good luck...it is a cute little chick hope things work out okay.

7. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Thanks you guys Im definatly gonna try that, and I feel bad because I know that it was my fault that she is like that since i help her out of the shell I thought she needed help, and thats why her feet are like this, shes 3 weeks old today but im still gonna try it, whoo knows it might work.

8. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Quote:You helping her out of the shell would not have caused the problem with her feet. [​IMG]
    The problem can come from genetics, riboflavin deficiency, or from improper incubation temperatures. Your chick looks healthy aside from this so hopefully the splinting will give some results. I would certainly try. Good luck and keep us posted how she does!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by