little duck missing feather around eyes and some crust!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by fmizula, Jan 30, 2012.

1. fmizula

fmizula Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    i am new to duckies and havent seen or read anything about this. he is young and male. he was missing some around his eyes when i got him home and i noticed it. now, he is loseing more feathers and also there is some crusty parts on the skin exposed areas. there is no blood or redness. he is not missing feather any where else. he seems fine in all other ways. he takes a bath in a small pond i have for the ducks that i change the water daily and some times twice as it freezes regulary. i was thinking possibly mites? i didnt see anything crawling on him. not sure what to do. dosent seem like a molt... dont know

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Can you post a picture that would help us alot. Thanks. Also age ,feed and other things about where he sleeps etc.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  3. fmizula

Aug 8, 2011
    not sure how to actually put the pic on here... i thought it was the embed option. oh well. this was two weeks ago when we got him. not sure how old he is. bought from a breeder at a poultry show. he eats chicken food, dumour layer pellets. he lives with the chickens in their coop along with two muscovy ducks. he sleeps in a nesting box or on the floor usualy.

trying to upload some i just took a few mins ago and will get on here soon.

4. fmizula

Aug 8, 2011
    [​IMG]

5. fmizula

Aug 8, 2011
    [​IMG]

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Here is a link to lice and mites. One thing i will say is I am very watchful of my flock and anything looks out of the ordinary
    I will try to get a hold on it quick so when my chickens got a mite infestation i was shocked, I looked for them quite a bit and never saw them till they got on me. On my head, never bit me just crawling around on me, so I jumped into th e shower and wash them off the end, next day i had to clean out all bedding in the duck and chicken houses spray with sevin let it air and dry then put some bedding back in and do it all over again in 10 days. I treated my chickens with sevin dust the first time, but now I use Epernix Pour- on and just put it on their necks like you do frontline for dogs. according to weight. You can treat with dust but doing it around your little guys eyes would not be good with dust. My ducks have never had mites or lice, I treat them 1 time a year during the winter when they aren't able to bath because of frozen water and the rest of the year they take care of them selves by bathing. I am wondering if your lil one came to you like this looking at his feathers he looks kinda rough maybe he wasn't taken as good of care as could have been? It could be mites or maybe somekind of fungus infection, maybe try treating for mites and lice and also using somekind of eye antibiotic on his skin around his eyes and see if you notice any difference. I have a product called Vetericyn spray for infections and wounds that would be a good start because you can spray it around the eyes and face without stinging or harming them. Then if you can get the sevin or poultry dust,
    dust him the way they recommend on the link making sure not to get it in his face. The Epernix is nice because it's easy and then you retreat in 10 days.
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html
    He is a cute, Is he call or east Indie? I am not that familar with the bantam breeds.
    Looking at the pic you just put up I am thinking maybe fungal? I don't know for sure though hopefully others will weigh in soon.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  7. fmizula

Aug 8, 2011
    i was not told what breed he is. i have some terymicn eye ointment. i am not sure of his care in his background. i have had lice before and i defently saw them on the birds. do not see anyhting on any of them. dont like using any unneccesay chemicals on them. maby fungus sounds like it...... not sure of his bred either. i was think east indies or call as well.

thanks

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd try the terimycin and see how that goes it may take a week before you notice any improvement though. Because his bill is longer than a calls would be maybe East Indie, I don't blame you for not wanting to use chemicals if you don't need to, just don't let it go too long if this doesn't work before trying something else. Do you have any silver spray it's also good to use for things like this.

9. fmizula

Aug 8, 2011
    no, what is silver spray??? never heard of that before. i have blue cote...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by