Little Duck punched out side of shell.

oesdog

Crowing
13 Years
Jun 7, 2010
Ireland
This little Duck had a pip in the shell at about 5 am this morning when we came back at about 2.30 pm it has broken a hole in the side and bits of egg were scattered but the membrane was still over much of the duck and it was dry. We moistened it and now it has a foot out and was making loads of noise but it cannot zip now as it just punched its way out the side? Is this normal??? I never had a duck before. There is another egg in the bator but nothing as yet they are not due until tomorrow. They are Ailsbury ducks and spent first 21 days under a hen. 6/10 live chicks from the hen - The mother duck was killed by a fox a few days back. so we wont get any more eggs there are two more I can put in after these come out - I am worried about this one and not sure what to do with him once he is hatched if he lives????

So the one with the hole in the side is still stuck in the shell, right? With its foot out it won't be able to get out on its own. You will need to carefully help it out.

Although it sounds like Ravyn has helped you over PM so you're probably good to go :)

Last edited:
So the one with the hole in the side is still stuck in the shell, right? With its foot out it won't be able to get out on its own. You will need to carefully help it out.

Although it sounds like Ravyn has helped you over PM so you're probably good to go :)

It popped out like a juggernaut, lol... had a ball of hatching goo that fell off and worried the OP... think the duckling is fine though... :) :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom