Little Duckling Health Issues

Kaw

Songster
Oct 19, 2020
I have searched and haven‘t found an answer although symptoms sound sonewhat similar to other questions asked here. I am at a loss and now think quality of life is suffering although he/she is fighting and eats/drinks well.
This Indian Runner duckling is the snallest hatched that has survived. He is about 5-6 weeks old. We can tell the sex of the others hatched that week bc they have their voices but this little still peeps, almost whistles. I don‘t know if he is ill or born with some internal issues, but they usually don‘t live so long.
At first he seemed normal, just tiny. Then as he grew , when he walked he ran as if very weak in the legs. At first would run with his top half bent over as if for ballast.
Now he tips over regularly. His legs look and feel well formed. He was swimming in the pond but eventually couldn’t get out and now can list in the water so is only swimming in the tub supervised. He can‘t stand and pluck the feathers on his front or bring his leg up to scratch his head while swimming. A few days ago i noticed I could hear him breathing through his nostrils. I put some VetRX this morning.
I gave him an anti-inflammatory last night and this morning to see if it helps. If it does he is probably in pain. This morning I found him flat on his side with his neck stretched out. He was sitting up after I helped him. We have also been giving him vit b and pouötry vitamins.

I'm so sorry about your little Runner, that breed is very near and dear to my heart.
How much B complex are you giving him and can you post a picture of the bottle and the ingredients? is it B-Complex? How are you giving the b complex? At his age he needs 1ml daily. Any way you can post a video of him?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions. Yes, I will make a video. I just tried to set him outside in a separate area. I think he is happier there. The other hatchlings stopped to look for him earlier.
He just struggled and felll over, getting his beak caught in the chicken wire so I brought him back in. His heart is pounding so I am going to put him in a quiet place.
I am using a Vit B complex (regular) and avoiding the no flush kind. We have been using Rooster Booster but just switched to Nutri-Drench. The vit-b is 50 mg per capsule so I pour a portion into water.,I was dividing it into 1 ml of water and using a syringe, now I just eyeball it. He was raised on Manna Pro duckling and gosling starter. We recently switched to a Purina non-medicated organic crumble and add brewers yeast. All the other Runners are now on Duck pellets.

Attachments

• E209DD46-06C2-45A5-88F9-765EEC5F2FAA.jpeg
    E209DD46-06C2-45A5-88F9-765EEC5F2FAA.jpeg
    363.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 0104EECA-2655-4692-9012-23D335C716F9.jpeg
    0104EECA-2655-4692-9012-23D335C716F9.jpeg
    384 KB · Views: 4
  • 736C28CB-789F-4CDB-A590-93FF66191FB7.jpeg
    736C28CB-789F-4CDB-A590-93FF66191FB7.jpeg
    407.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 4C6D61D6-4A8C-4161-B7DB-8BFF6F7DD341.jpeg
    4C6D61D6-4A8C-4161-B7DB-8BFF6F7DD341.jpeg
    332.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 1536691E-BE50-44AE-9AB9-821B71CEDA5E.jpeg
    1536691E-BE50-44AE-9AB9-821B71CEDA5E.jpeg
    440.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 06A82028-B517-4BA4-B309-1DE814BEF364.jpeg
    06A82028-B517-4BA4-B309-1DE814BEF364.jpeg
    420 KB · Views: 3
I'm not familiar with rooster booster. Not sure how much niacin is in it. I have used Nutridrench a lot of times but not for niacin deficiency. It's just a good immune booster. Especially for newly hatched or sickly birds.

The B complex 50 means each capsule has 50 mg of all the b vitamins? so he will need 2 of those capsules daily because ducklings need 125 of niacin daily so actually 2.5 capsules. or you can pick up the liquid B complex at TSC and start giving that 1 ml over a tasty treat like mealworms. Putting it in water just waters it down so he isn't getting near enough, If you want to finish using up the capsules put it in the water of your other ducklings. if they aren't having problems. It is good for them all and that way you won't be wasting it.
I can't be sure what your seeing is a niacin deficiency could be something else going on too. But getting him on the liquid B complex will let you know it's not a deficiency. Usually, they start improving in less than a week depending on the severity and how long it's been going on. I sure hope it's niacin def since they respond so well to the b complex. Everything else as far as watching him while he is in water and making sure he can't hurt himself looks like you have that all covered. Feed also sounds great.
This liquid B complex is just one brand usually TSC carries Durvet brands which is excellent. It will say injectable but we just use a 1ml syringe and pull out what we need. Keep the rest in the frig.

Attachments

• 4370BE0E-3A3D-4364-B1A5-2EAC55ED8F7A.jpeg
    4370BE0E-3A3D-4364-B1A5-2EAC55ED8F7A.jpeg
    485.1 KB · Views: 4
I'm not familiar with rooster booster. Not sure how much niacin is in it. I have used Nutridrench a lot of times but not for niacin deficiency. It's just a good immune booster. Especially for newly hatched or sickly birds.

The B complex 50 means each capsule has 50 mg of all the b vitamins? so he will need 2 of those capsules daily because ducklings need 125 of niacin daily so actually 2.5 capsules. or you can pick up the liquid B complex at TSC and start giving that 1 ml over a tasty treat like mealworms. Putting it in water just waters it down so he isn't getting near enough, If you want to finish using up the capsules put it in the water of your other ducklings. if they aren't having problems. It is good for them all and that way you won't be wasting it.
I can't be sure what your seeing is a niacin deficiency could be something else going on too. But getting him on the liquid B complex will let you know it's not a deficiency. Usually, they start improving in less than a week depending on the severity and how long it's been going on. I sure hope it's niacin def since they respond so well to the b complex. Everything else as far as watching him while he is in water and making sure he can't hurt himself looks like you have that all covered. Feed also sounds great.
This liquid B complex is just one brand usually TSC carries Durvet brands which is excellent. It will say injectable but we just use a 1ml syringe and pull out what we need. Keep the rest in the frig.
Thank you. When I put the poweder into water I measured so that I was giving the amount recommened per day via mouth, but administered by syringe. I will try the liquid vit B but I also suspect it won‘t help if it has not helped yet. What stands out to me is that I don‘t see him sleep with his head tucked under his wing, ever. Aside from the obvious to me it‘s not a good sign, I called our vet but we are waiting for an appt. I was sure he was born this way and suddenly he is listing. Now I think I am wrong. I don‘t know. I hold him while he eats to ensure he gets enough snd he ears eagerly.
I will add a video when I can capture him moving. Thank you again for your suggestions.

I feel the same. I don’t want him to suffer but I also want to give him the best chance. I have never sen rye neck but today he looks to me like the descriptions I have read. Now he doesn‘t swim. When he goes forward his head goes into the water. He can pull it back up but I ususlky help him. I made videos but I am not sure yet how to attach them. They don‘t show up on the attach files link.

I have searched and haven‘t found an answer although symptoms sound sonewhat similar to other questions asked here. I am at a loss and now think quality of life is suffering although he/she is fighting and eats/drinks well.
This Indian Runner duckling is the snallest hatched that has survived. He is about 5-6 weeks old. We can tell the sex of the others hatched that week bc they have their voices but this little still peeps, almost whistles. I don‘t know if he is ill or born with some internal issues, but they usually don‘t live so long.
At first he seemed normal, just tiny. Then as he grew , when he walked he ran as if very weak in the legs. At first would run with his top half bent over as if for ballast.
Now he tips over regularly. His legs look and feel well formed. He was swimming in the pond but eventually couldn’t get out and now can list in the water so is only swimming in the tub supervised. He can‘t stand and pluck the feathers on his front or bring his leg up to scratch his head while swimming. A few days ago i noticed I could hear him breathing through his nostrils. I put some VetRX this morning.
I gave him an anti-inflammatory last night and this morning to see if it helps. If it does he is probably in pain. This morning I found him flat on his side with his neck stretched out. He was sitting up after I helped him. We have also been giving him vit b and pouötry vitamins.
You do not want to use flush free niacin. Flush free is a slow release which means it takes longer to absorb and with ducks by the time they start to absorb it most of it is out of their system which is most likely why you are not seeing results. Also the rooster booster you are using does not contain Niacin. I would go get Durvet B complex and start dosing orally or by injection immediately.

Back
Top Bottom