1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Little Fort Knox Day Pen - It Worked

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Amiga, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    In the long list of predators I have often written here, I think I have always included domestic dogs and cats. For good reason.

Some really really big puppies (about six or seven months old, probably 80 pounds each) slipped away from their home as they went after a hawk. Well, being puppies, of course they didn't know they could not catch a hawk up in the air. But their chase landed them right in front of my place, where they discovered the ducks.

Thank the Lord, the ducks were in the Day Pen. I was inside, had just taken off my work boots, when I heard a commotion. At first I thought it was some duck-to-duck kerfuffle. But something wasn't right.

Looking out the window, I saw the two dogs trying to find a way in to the pen. The ducks were trying to stay as far away from the dogs as they could (which was about eight to fifteen feet, thanks to the size of the pen).

The owner was in hot pursuit, and in a very few minutes we had the dogs tied to my deck post away from the pen. Things settled down. The ducks seem unharmed, I will keep an eye out for sprains or other post-traumatic hurts.

Happens in a flash. Out of nowhere. Otherwise fine dogs from a good family, just one or two mistakes and blam!

So aside from some raised blood pressure all around, I think we are okay.

We celebrated with some peas.

[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thank goodness A, very good point about how fast something can happen. Did you have some peas too? [​IMG]

3. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]
    I otta have some kind of treat! I think it will be some green tea with lemonade, maybe. You may be able to tell from the way I wrote the post, I really like the puppies. I know them. They are dolls. And they are a big breed, and not fully trained yet. So the Day Pen saved two families from untold heartache.

It has inspired me to get back to work on Day Pen II, the sequel, for our back yard. Right now I am thinking, "how am I gonna afford that much stockade fence?"

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Good for you on having a secure setup. I have always believed that good pens and good fences make for good neighbors! My pens/fencing have saved my critters many a time. Accidents can happen to perfectly good, responsible people and in the blink of an eye a dog can get out and run off. We won't even go into all the ignorant, irresponsible people who intentionally let their dogs roam!

5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I know that cost is a factor, I really understand when people conclude they cannot afford a bunch of fence. On the other hand, sometimes you can find reclaimed fence, or find a bargain and to me it is worth something to avoid tragedy.

There are still risks, I let the ducks out of the pen to go to their night shelter, sometimes we take walks together around the yard. During those times they are more vulnerable. I wonder how I would deal with two dogs during those times. Always something. Absolute safety is elusive.

6. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Wow. Good pen :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by