little gaint forced air humidity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by marlin, Jun 4, 2008.

1. marlin

marlin Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2008
    Grand Bay, Alabama
    I recently did my first hatch with this incubator (bob whites ) it wasnt a very good hatch but I know the humidity was the problem. Here is my question the manuel says to take out the second vent cap at 3 days out wouldnt that lower the humidity? However I didnt have a hydormeter for this hatch which was my mistake. Second question In a few days i will be setting some turkey and some Black copper marans eggs? Do yall see any problems setting these in the same bator? Thanks for your comments I gotta do everything perfect this time!!

2. gervais22

gervais22 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Ontario
    Maybe if the time frame isn't right, because the turkey's will still need like 50%-60% humidity while the others that are ready to hatch will need more than that, I'm doing the same and I hope it works out fine.

The humidity doesn't have to be perfect but try and keep it within the preferred percentage by about 10%, if you remove the cap and the % goes down just add another tray with a sponge.

3. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Set your turkeys then 7 days later set the marans, so they hatch on about the same day. Or do you have a setup just for hatching??

4. marlin

marlin Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2008
    Grand Bay, Alabama
    No setup for hatching

5. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Its easiest to stagger start time, if you dont have maran eggs yet put off getting them by a week, If you already have both sets, I would rather take my chances on raising humidity for a couple extra days so marans have higher humidity when they hatch, instead of not setting eggs for a extra week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by