Little giant 11300 incubator

norcalbirds

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 30, 2012
I just got the incubator and I'm testing it and it seems like the humidity gauge is def not right. There's 6 separate water channels and I don't know if I should fill them all or some to stay at my humidity range? I'm incubating turkey eggs and I was told that 50-55 humidity range for 24 days then go up to 80 for hatching. I'm going to get better digital meters for the temp and humidity but just wondered if there was any tricks anyone uses with success. Thanks

I just got the incubator and I'm testing it and it seems like the humidity gauge is def not right. There's 6 separate water channels and I don't know if I should fill them all or some to stay at my humidity range? I'm incubating turkey eggs and I was told that 50-55 humidity range for 24 days then go up to 80 for hatching. I'm going to get better digital meters for the temp and humidity but just wondered if there was any tricks anyone uses with success. Thanks
Don't ever trust the gages that are factory installed in the bators, (especially the cheaper foam bators). Get a good hygrometer and a couple good thermometers and make sure you check the thermometers against a thermometer you know to be accurate, even if they are new. It doesn't hurt to calibrate the hygrometer either. Once you have those in your bator and you are confident they are right, then you'll be able figure what you need in the wells to get the humidity you want. Your ambient humidity can and will affect your bator's humidity so what might work for one person is not neccessarily going to be the answer for you. I have an older LG and hatch chick eggs. I run the bator dry for the first 17 days and still maintain at least a 40% humidity reading. So if I fill my wells, I'm going to be way above what I need whereas someone who lives in a dryer less humid climate is going to need to fill the wells just to get the 40-50%

Thank you I'm getting a couple temp meters and humidity meters right now and going to see what the differences are.

Well the temp is right on and humidity I'm working with but the digital screen on my incubators about 5 percent wrong to high but temp was .3 off high. I'm so far pleased not bad for $140. I'm going to try finding a better spot in the house to put it to see if I can get this humidity under control.

thumbsup.gif

Ya I'm excited I do notice that opening it can closing it can really mess with the temp and it takes a long time to steady out. I was messing with my meters and stuff so I think it's not the normal open close situation. I would say that so far it's a pretty well running incubator just don't open close it to much or your temps going to spike.

Ya I'm excited I do notice that opening it can closing it can really mess with the temp and it takes a long time to steady out. I was messing with my meters and stuff so I think it's not the normal open close situation. I would say that so far it's a pretty well running incubator just don't open close it to much or your temps going to spike.
What incubator are you using? I'm thinking one of styrofoam models?

Blond moment...geeze..yes, I just realized what the title of the thread was. Honestly I'm not normally blond acting...lol

Last edited:
Ha ha no worries lol ya it is the styrofoam one with the digital screen and adjustable heat. I'm hatching turkey eggs and figured I'd give it a try I've hatched all sorts of exotic ducks and peacocks in the older ones. It's a good machine prob a majority of failure is on the operator not the machine. So I'm going to give this new model a try

Ha ha no worries lol ya it is the styrofoam one with the digital screen and adjustable heat. I'm hatching turkey eggs and figured I'd give it a try I've hatched all sorts of exotic ducks and peacocks in the older ones. It's a good machine prob a majority of failure is on the operator not the machine. So I'm going to give this new model a try
I think that's true for a lot of the flack the styro bators get. No they aren't as easy and work free as the fancy expensive ones. My experience so far is that if you have them in a draft free place with a fairly steady temp they do well staying fairly steady themself. Mine is so old there's no digital nothing...lol. It does have the fan kit installed though and I use the egg turner. I've only done chicken eggs and I switched to the dry incubation method. I make sure I have more than one thermometer and I monitor the air cells to stay on target with humidity. They are a little more work but I think if you can and are willing they can be as efficent rate wise. My last hatch was 81%, hopefully next will be a bit more.

Back
Top Bottom