Little Giant 5 gallon waterer top won't come off!!! Frustrated!!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kjxoxo1, Dec 25, 2011.

1. kjxoxo1

kjxoxo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Okay..... Does anyone know if there is a trick to removing the top off of the 5 gallon little giant waterer.... I went to try to put fresh water in and clean it out but could not twist the top off.....it would not budge. I know I didn't put it n that tight!! I'm frustrated and any help would be most appreciated!! Myself and my 65 chicks thank you in advance!!!

2. rmh0508

rmh0508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Engadine, MI
    if you ever get the top off try rubbing some vaseline on the rubber o-ring to keep it from getting dry that should help.....

3. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Try putting weight on it pushing down and turning at the same time?
    Otherwise, some lube when you get it opened is the trick.
    The nice thing too about Vaseline, is that it will not freeze so if it is below freezing outside you don't have worry about the lid freezing. However, those are not the waterers to use in freezing weather because they are not designed (unless you have a built-in heated model), for sitting on a waterer heater.

4. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

I love those black rubber fortex pans for water in the winter! Flip em over and stomp on the bottom and the ice falls right out. I'd be afraid you'd get a crack in that nice 5 gallon job...

5. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I have some of the 5 gallon waterers that you are talking about. After awhile mine would not hold a seal and start overflowing. So when they would hold a seal I did not want to chance taking top off again.

Solution: I bought a pointed nozzle for my hose with a tiny opening on it. Just lay your waterer on it's side and fill thru the tiny hole! Simple solution and you need not worry about taking top off again unless you must clean it.

6. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    Most places that sell the waters also have the O rings for about a buck. You shouldn't have to tight the lid tight enough where it causes problems getting it off. If anyone needs a new O ring I can check to see how many there is at the C0-0p. There was a couple there last week.

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Use a long stick or metal pipe in the handle to give you some leverage.

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    After awhile mine would not hold a seal

Most of the time cleaning the O ring will fix that.
    Always make sure it's wet when you put the top back on​

9. kjxoxo1

kjxoxo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    @Bear....great idea!!! Thanks!! I went to take it back to the co op but they were closed today!! I needed to get some chicken feed as well!! [​IMG]

I also bought a small house end to fill it up from the bottom as someone else suggested!! In the meantime, I'm thinking about purchasing the 20 gallon or 85 gallon waterer I saw online as soon as I get feedback reviews on it before I purchase it!

10. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Just a note, you can always get a replacement O-ring to put on the waterers. They should be available wherever you buy the waterer itself. Sometimes in the summer when the water heats up in the sun, the pressure inside makes it harder to take the top off. So does when I tell my 15-year old son to go change the water out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by