Little Giant Air Incubator Pro's Con's.....?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KansasKid, Sep 19, 2010.

1. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    I am thinking about getting an incubator and there is a store just down the road that has a Little Giant Air Incubator and i was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this particular model to give me a better idea wether or not i should get it.

2. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    I have the LG and the temperature swing from 93-104F. It also hard to control the humidity. If it was me, I get the Genesis 1588 with turner.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

4. akpeeps

akpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I started with an LG still air and ended up putting the fan in it which has made a huge difference. The temp holds steady and I've had fewer problems keeping the humidity stable. I think location has a lot to do with it also. I keep mine in the laundry room where the room temp doesn't fluctuate more than a few degrees.

5. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    i have a lg. & temp. & humidity stays set great, just put a fan in it & it makes a world of difference.

6. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    You will get much better temp control on your LG if you can keep it in a closet on an interior wall of your home where the temps stay more stable (ie without the cooler/heater blowing on it etc.) I have two LGs, I did put computer fans in both.

7. aarronh

aarronh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Meadville, PA
    I too put a fan in all three of my little giants... I put tiny spacers in, and have them mounted blowing UP at the TOP of the incubator, and not on the eggs. I also used silicon and sealed the holes in the bottom tray, filling the entire bottom with water. I found that I was having "dry" hatches with adding the fan and not having extra humidity to compensate...

8. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    So i would be better off going ahead and buying the LG forced air I guess-

Ok thanks for the input.

9. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:We have 2 with little problems. When you turn it on...you will need to give it a day or so to callibrate it. Ours are in the corner of our den...we also got the turners. They can fluctuate with the indoor air temps, so we check on them a few times a day. We bought a hydrometer to put in them also...I would not put in TOO much water...the eggs can "drown" with too much humidity.

It will take a while to become familiar...but you will get it! Good luck!

10. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    I also want to add...we've now hatched hundreds of chicks with these incubators! We didn't have a great hatch rate in the beginning, but got better with "practice" and tweaking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by