Little Giant auto-water bowl installation question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Felicitas, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Felicitas

Felicitas Chillin' With My Peeps

We have a Little Giant automatic water fountain, and we are trying to install it to work with this bracket and hose adapter (http://www.randallburkey.com/prodinfo.asp?number=10210). No matter how I adjust the spring, it never shuts off. I have tried pulling down on the bowl to try to get it to shut off to see what's happening, at a variety of water pressures, and nothing seems to make it cut off. Are these things just very temperamental, or should I assume that it's defective?
    Any help at all is appreciated ...

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    If it doesnt stop flowing when you pull it down, I'd say its defective, or has dirt trapped in the valve

3. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Sorry i posted a similar reply yesterday but i must have done it wrong cause it never showed up. But i agree. Probably trash in seal keeping it from closing all the way. May have to take it back for a replacement.

4. Felicitas

Thanks guys!
    I'll look at the seal - where is it located in relation to the two nuts that you can turn on the inner shaft to adjust the height of the spring?

I'd be surprised if there's dirt in it, seeing as it's brand-new, and we got it through mail order and I don't think we have the receipt any more. And I can't completely rule out the possibility that I did something to it while I was setting it up.

5. RendonRoo

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    I might be able to help if you could post a pic. I'm not sure what kind of valve we are talking about. They all have some kinda of rubber seal in there you just have to find it. Hope we can fix it.

6. Felicitas

Posting this for my husband who has been asking the questions under my account - [​IMG]

[​IMG]

He says he cannot find a rubber seal anywhere in the assembly?

oh and thanks so much for your assistance!

7. Bear Foot Farm

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    He says he cannot find a rubber seal anywhere in the assembly?

It could be nylon, or even a closely machined brass piece.

I'd take the whole thing apart and reassemble, making SURE there is NO dirt at all and try it one more time.

I would think it has to be inside the brass tube, although it's possible ( but unlikely) they left it out​

8. RendonRoo

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    I agree with bear foot. it looks like a spring tensioner on the end but i'm not at all familiar with this type of valve. Will try to look at tsc tomorrow and see if they have them.

9. vyvial

vyvial Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    It's based on a bicycle tube valve. I put mine in today and had it adjusted within two minutes. If it doesn't cut off when you pull down on it, then it is faulty. I don't know how you would fix it though.

10. Bear Foot Farm

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote:That's called a "Schrader valve" and can be replaced by using a special tool to unscrew them. Any auto parts place will have the tool for about $1-2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by