Little Giant Automatic Turner question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cherndon712, Jan 18, 2008.

1. cherndon712

cherndon712 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    Does this usually make any noise? I put it in, with eggs, 3 hours ago, and as far as I can tell the eggs haven't moved...Don't they move very slowly? But the eggs are marked so I should be able to tell if they've moved.

2. marcuscarr

marcuscarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2007
    Look close where the metal trays connect to the plastic. They are held in position with little metal friction nuts. Make sure the metal part is pushed all the way up on the large part of the plastic pins. If the nut slides out a little, the tray can drop off the large part and bind.

Marcus

3. cherndon712

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    I checked...That doesn't seem to be the problem, Marcus!! Any other ideas?

4. marcuscarr

Jul 2, 2007
    Since the eggs are already in the bator, the most important thing is to make sure they turn. The turner cycles every 4 hours, so look at the position now, wait two hours and check again.

If it has moved you are probably ok.

If it hasn't, pull the turner and place the eggs back in the bator. Turn them manually while you are figuring out the turner issue.

Once you have it out and empty...

make sure it is on a level surface, plugged in, and check all the "joints" to see if you can find a binding point. If you put your fingers on the motor you will feel a slight "buzz", but should not hear anything. The motor will be hot to the touch...which is normal for that turner.

If you find that the motor is bad, I think you can order just a replacement motor.

5. marcuscarr

Jul 2, 2007
    Oh! almost forgot. Never force the motor to turn by manually moving the racks, it strips the cheap gears that are inside. I have the same turner and have been paranoid about making sure I don't put pressure on the egg racks...so far so good.

Marcus

6. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    My turner makes a humming sound, you can definately tell when it's plugged in. You can also tell in an hour or so if it has moved as the eggs are slightly tilted. Good luck.

7. cherndon712

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    I'm leaning toward mine is BROKEN...Which is irritating, since I just bought it, brand new...GRRRR!!!

8. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    When I first started to incubate (Sept.) I had mine break two days into it. I lost most of the chicks, my temp. was off to. I didnt notice for a few days [​IMG] My feed store was glad to return it. Just bits because I didnt have anything hatch. My turner does make a humming noise though.

9. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    this is one of the many reasons i decided to turn my 8 eggs myself :0

10. cherndon712

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    I love turning by hand, but I hane around 75 eggs right now, with another 4 dozen by wednesday of next week...That's a lot of time turning them all 3 times a day!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by