Little Giant Burning ME!!!!!

ChickenPrnces

Songster
8 Years
Jan 2, 2012
Deerfield, NH
So I have a little giant still air for hatchig! The heating element is extremely hot and the bolts that hold it in are too! My LG Forced Air is not that hot! Is this normal or is something wrong with the still air??? Putting 15 eggs in tomorrow for lockdown and i'm afraid it's going to burn some of the larger chicks heads if they bump it! HELP!!!!!!!!!

I have a still air LG that I modified with a computer fan.. the elements are not hot.. though there is a warning on it saying not to come into contact with them.. I have numerous times.. I found them to be "warm" but certainly not uncomfortable or hot.

my still air lg element is always hot. we were a little worried after the first 3 hatches. all of our chicks turned out just fine hatching in the lg. even the very kooky leaping silkie and easter egger chicks that hatched first and tumbled over the unhatched eggs.

Ihave the same bator and the bolts on ine were always hot. I had a 90% hatch. I think it'll be okay.
When mine hatched I always had my face pressed up on the bator, watching them hatch. You can guess what happened...
lol.png

Last edited:
I've had a few still-air LG 9200s and currently have 2 or 3. I have a method of getting inside the incubator during hatching without removing the entire lid and losing so much heat and humidity. I loosen a window, and slide it down or up just enough so that I can do what I need to do. Often times that includes reaching my hand in there. And yes, I've accidentally touched the heating element several times. It gives me a VERY strong electrical jolt. The bolts do too! I don't know if that's normal or not, I should probably ask my Dad or brother about it...

But anyway, I've SEEN chicks numerous times touch their heads to the element and not react AT ALL! I don't know why not. It baffles me.
hu.gif

Thank you sooo much everybody! Now that I know it is normal I am a whole lot more relaxed going into lockdown which happens in half an hour! 15 surprises from my friend Brandy! Can't wait to see them!

I know exactly what you are talking about. I just took my little giant incubator out of the closet, (I was curious about how it was doing not being used for so long, because I normally use my homemade incubators). I added a fan to it. Well, the stupid thermostat went out. I am so aggravated that I have to replace this. Although I have always wanted to see how well a wafer thermostat would work in a little giant incubator. I would love to really do that.

Back
Top Bottom