Little Giant Circulated Air Egg Incubator w turner

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JohnsonHomestead, May 15, 2011.

1. JohnsonHomestead

JohnsonHomestead Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    Out in the sticks
    My wife and I were thinking about an incubator, just wanted some first hand comments on the
    Little Giant Circulated Air Egg Incubator with the turner, how hard to tune temp and humidy? Turner reliable? Hatch rate, that sorta stuff.

How well does it stand the test of time?

We are looking to hatch our own eggs for freezer birds, add to layers, and maybe some to sell, so as many as 6 times a year wouldn't be out of the question.

2. chicksntexas

chicksntexas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Magnolia, TX
    I'm new at this and waiting on my first hatch 5/21...lockdown Wednesday. LG w/turner and fan...so I'll know more this weekend!! But so far, it's worked out pretty good. Temps have been relatively stable, had a few short spikes due to the afternoon warming in the rooms. Humidity goes down quicker with the fan, but easy to add water with a straw through the vent. Turner has worked like a charm! So far, day 16, I have 7 of 7 still moving around! [​IMG]

3. bwmichaud

bwmichaud Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    I have the Little Giant with the turner and a homemade fan I made from a computer power supply. I hatched a dozen mixed breed eggs last fall and I got 8 healthy chicks. The other 4 did not hatch. I watched the temp and it was pretty consistent. I didn't have a hygrometer to measure humidity but I made sure there was always water in the tray.

4. callahanfarmgirl

callahanfarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Callahan
    I have the Little Giant incubator with the auto turner, forced air, & hygrometer. I have only used it once but I hatched 37 out of 40 fertile eggs. It was my first time hatching so I was very happy with those results.

5. JohnsonHomestead

May 15, 2011
    Out in the sticks
    Knew it would pay off to ask for feedback,lol.
    See I was under the impression that the giant had the hydrometer and water source built in.
    My dad had a dome incubator back when I was little and Dad was doing what I am shooting for now,lol. It had a bottle that had a screw adjuster to keep humidity constant as long as you kept water in the bottle.

6. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    I don't have forced air or an egg turner, but the guy that I bought mine form said that he just kept water in the trays the entire time, and he hatched 10 out of 10.

7. fobpatdgurl18

fobpatdgurl18 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    North Wilkesboro
    I have the same thing and this is my first time incubating also! My eggs are due to hatch on the 26th. So far my temps have remained steady and wasn't hard to get it tuned to the right temp. Humidity fluctuates a little bit but never drastically. I'm very impressed with 11/14 fertile eggs that I saw moving last night when I candled! Go for it, it's the coolest thing to watch eggs become chickens. I'm loving every minute!

8. fobpatdgurl18

fobpatdgurl18 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    North Wilkesboro
    Oh by the way I don't have the fan kit. Just the still air incubator and egg turner.

9. JohnsonHomestead

May 15, 2011
    Out in the sticks
    I had a feeling it was one of the standards on market now, its about the only one I see at any of the places that would carry incubators in about a 100 mile radius. The only real foot up I have is about 6 years of childhood when we kept about 30 layers, think White rocks and white leghorns. Think I was put in charge of incubator by 3rd hatching,lol, about 11 yo, it was great. Can remember adding a fan did alot to boost hatching.
    Looks like I am collecting good stuff to help sway my wife that the output will more than cover costs in a relativly short time. Thinking the first time we take chicken off our shopping list for a month or more she will start to see the reason for my "Chicken Insanity", lol. She hasn't been as bad since the eggs from my insanity more than covers cost of feed with plenty to spare.

10. JohnsonHomestead

May 15, 2011
    Out in the sticks
    well, I got it, after a crazy week in 100+ dry heat gathering eggs from my 14 mixed hens, I put 41 eggs to hatch,now 7 day candling results are in. Out of the 41 I have 2 blood rings, 2 that are just too dark brown to be sure, And 37 little wiggles [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by