Little Giant Donated!It's GROSS! Help me use the parts elsewhere?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DawnSuiter, Jul 31, 2008.

1. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

A friend of my husband donated an LG still air bator to our cause. Unfortunately this thing is totally disgusting, stored in a barn out of the box, rats eating through the bottom, the top covered in much so that it looks brown and a missing window. There is a turner with these spiky plastic thingies, I haven't plugged anything in of course.

It's really gross... and as I sit here fruitlessly trying to stabalize my homemade styro bator, I was thinking.. maybe I could use those parts from the yucky LG and make something else. I asked some questions in the chic chick bator thread, but I'm guessing that threads been beat to death and no one clicks there anymore. I read all 34 pages twice, sad, I know.

Any ideas how to use this heater coil with a different thermostat? it's missing the dial, I have never seen any of these before.

what would you do with it?

2. mr.majestik

mr.majestik Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2008
    GA
    Shoot yeah scavenge the parts off of that thing and make a nifty incubator. It's a wafer style thermostat and the dial can be replaced with just about anything that will fit in there. The heating element and egg turner alone are worth the trouble.

3. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    what do u mean missing the dial is there a white peg stivking in the top there was never a dial setting on these that i know of if theres the lil peg sticking up that ur dial im in the process of building a bator with the scavanged parts of my old lg ill post pics soon u may have urs done first though mine will be a few days

4. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

No dail! Wow, yes the peg is still there, I didn't know that's all there was!

There doesn't seem to be a thermostat, perhaps it's missing? I think I'll get a pic for you guys later...

How large of a bator could I make with this single coil? could I make a two teir (two racks tall) bator?

5. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    yes u could in theory make a 2 stage the elements do put out a pretty good amount of heat so u never know i think itd work. now on to the thermostat the peg goes through the foam and connect to a plastic kinda flat looking thing with what looks to be an electronic or circuit board or i should say it should. that electronic board in the plastic casing is ur thermostat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by