1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Little Giant Egg or HovaBator???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by blueberrychickens, Dec 26, 2011.

1. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    I'm gonna do it, I am!!! I want to hatch out some chicks for me to have & to sell. Which incubator would be best? I'm leaning towards the HovaBator but both have good reviews. Since I value BYC'ers input, I thought I'd throw it out there to the masses. Whats your experience & who did you buy your incubator from?

2. tristancolli

tristancolli Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Kinmount
    Forced air HovaBator with auto-egg turner. i never had luck with the LG, and alot of the people i know havnt had luck with them. some people do but they are a very contancurous bator. so if u are a first time hatcher and want a bator ur not going to have to watch 24/7 get the hova bator.

3. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Thanks, I am a first time hatcher.....lol that sounds funny!

4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Yeah, some people have great hatches with the LGs but they're well known to be tricky to get the hang of and a bit temperamental when it comes to keeping the temperature steady. If you don't want to have to spend ages learning how to tweak your bator to get the best out of it, go with the Hovabator. I think most people would agree they're a lot less stressful for newbies to deal with.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Get the Genesis 1588 Hovabator. You won't be disappointed. You just have to monitor the water and put a tube in so you can add it easily.

6. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

I use an LG and it works pretty good for me, the thing is that the LG styrofoam is a little bit thinner than hovabator, so the temp can go down because of the lack of better insulation, the trick is to keep it ina warm place about 70-80 degrees and you'l be ok. heres a link to a vid I found on youtuba that explains more the video kind of favors the hovabator more, Even though I like the LG

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2011
  7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have both Hova-Bators and LG. I personally prefer my LG but have worked out the idiosyncrasies with it. If the room temperature is kind of low I throw a towel over it to help keep the temp stable and use a wireless thermostat to check the temp. If you do go with an LG, here is a thread with a lot of good tips and tricks for them.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=7906024#p7906024

8. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    Hova!

9. CBarrett

CBarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Crestview, FL
    Hova-bator!

10. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Yeah, the hovabator is taller, updated looking, and uses a wafer thermostat, (most do) which is better than the little giant thermostat. Craigslist or Ebay would be your best options for getting it, and I recommend hand turning. But the egg turner is nice too. I would also get a PC fan and put it in there for circulation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by