Little Giant & Humidity plugs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hooked2, May 7, 2007.

1. hooked2

hooked2 New Egg

May 7, 2007
    I am new to your group, but it looks like you guys have a lot of knowledge. This is my second attempt at hatching in an incubator. I had an old junky one last year and hatched only 11 of 48 eggs. Worse yet ... nine of them were roosters. Now I have a new Little Giant with the turners and the chicks seem to be growing well. I am trying to hatch some red sex linked chicks. I am on day 16 now, so will have to take them out of the turner soon. Am I supposed to have the red plugs in top of the incubator in or out at this point? The directions say to take them out, but it doesn't say when (beginning or end) and it never mentions putting them back in. I think they regulate the humidity. Would putting them back in make the humidity rise for the last few days or would it make my chicks suffocate? I'd appreciate any suggestions.
    Thanks!

2. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    Hi, You should put the plugs back in soon. So you have a way to tell humidity (a hygrometer)? You will want your humidity up on the 18th day to around 70% or somewhat above. Near hatching day, you should see a bit of condensation on the windows. I had to add a clean very wet sock (use warm water to wet) PLUS a wet smaller childs sock in order to raise the humidity.

I believe I put the plugs in around the 16th or 17th day. The Little Giant will still have some fresh air as there are some small air holes that you cannot see. Your chicks will not suffocate, I worried about the fresh air too.

Best wishes:)

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    You will need to put them back in by day 18. That is the only way to keep humidity up to 70% or so. There are enough small holes for air flow that chicks will not suffocate. Once the hatch is done remove the plugs so the humidity will drop and the chicks feathers can dry out and fluff. That usually takes 24 hours.

4. hooked2

hooked2 New Egg

May 7, 2007
    Thanks for the help. I put the plugs back in today (day 17) and noticed condensation on the glass a short time later. Hopefully that means the humidity is high enough. I don't have a hygrometer yet, but will have to get one before I attempt to hatch again.

5. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    If you are getting a little condensation on the windows the humidity is probably about perfect for hatching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by