little giant ...humidity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicketydooda, Oct 2, 2013.

1. chicketydooda

chicketydooda Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2013
    How can you tell what the humidity is? Do you have to buy something for that?

2. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Yes, you do. At least for the most part. When I first bought mine, I filled the trays, and just hoped for the best in humidity. I didn't have any way to watch it, either. And the chicks did pretty well in hatching despite me not ever knowing the humidity level.

But if you want, Wal-Mart carries a thermometer/hygrometer so you can keep an eye on both the temp and humidity. It is digital, and runs on batteries, and it's only about $10. To see what it looks like, just click HERE. If you can't find it in your store, you can certainly order it online through that link.

I bought one when the actual thermometer for the incubator was broken (thanks, nieces and nephews). I now keep that in the corner of my incubator right next to the motor for the egg turner. I can usually see it from above, but if not, a simple flashlight can show me what it reads.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by