1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Little Giant Incubator 11300 question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sshrader, Mar 22, 2017.

1. sshrader

sshrader Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2016
    Arkansas
    I have the little giant 11300, had a question if any else knows. On the incubator that little part that hangs down is that the temp gauge or is the hygrometer? The part that is in the shape of a L.

Just used it to try to hatch some eggs & only 2/16 hatched. Had a separate thermometer & hygrometer in there, all was relatively close with what the incubator said but had bad luck & power went out one night due to lovely spring storms.

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I believe you are talking about the temp sensor. It hangs down to egg level. What did you run humidity at for the first 17 days and what were your temps? Is that forced air?

3. sshrader

Sep 15, 2016
    Arkansas
    Maybe it is the temp sensor, it hangs down and is on a little piece of plastic that I sat on top of the eggs.
    For the first 17-18 days the temps were between 99-101 & humidity showed about 50%. (Except during power outage) Then at lockdown i bumped humidity up to 65-70%

Yea this is the forced air model w\ egg turner. Maybe I'll go back to the old still-air incubator I had 6/7 on it.

4. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    That is fairly high humidity. Chick drowning Range for most of us. I'd drop the humidity and run 30-35% and monitor the air cell. This is the method I use: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

5. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    How long was the power out, what day of incubation were you on and how low did the temps get?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  6. sshrader

Sep 15, 2016
    Arkansas
    I know a few of them died due to the power outage we had & a few of them looked like malposition? We had our EE's blue eggs in there and even with a high powered LED it was hard to candle them the air cell looked good on the ones we could see. But I figured humdity was a little too high. During lockdown should I try to keep the humdity that low? On my first hatch I kept it about 55-65 and I had a great hatch rate.

7. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I don't recommend less than 65% for hatch. If you're hands off you can get by with less, but I'd be uncomfortable personally. Higher humidity at hatch will not hurt anything, but too low can. With that being said, no matter what other people do or suggest, if you find something you feel works for you, stick to it.

8. sshrader

Sep 15, 2016
    Arkansas
    Thanks I'll haft to do a little more research on this incubator. I'll post some pictures of that little L shaped piece tonight. It seems to hang down way too far and not sit at the top of the egg level.

9. sshrader

Sep 15, 2016
    Arkansas
    I cant remember exactly what day it was but it was the first week. It happened during the middle of the night, I would say temps dropped probably down to 80s ? since it was out for a couple of hours.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  10. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    The little l piece is the temp sensor that attaches to the plastic sheet.

I modified mine by removing the sheet. And bunching the wires for it and zip tying it to the other wires in the lid.
    Then I could bend the end set it at the top of the eggs and exactly where I wanted it under the heater element.

As it moved while turning the eggs and if I opened the lid. The caused temp variations. Because it never settled in the same spot.

Try running drier humidity during incubation. I try for no less than 20 to 35 percent. Raise to 75 for hatch.

For temps unless double checked with accurate thermometer. I had to set bator to 103.5 to get 99.5 avg. Checked with a brinsea spot check.

There are lots of things I found that need to be monitored with this incubator. I could list them but might make for a long post.

With a lot of patience and tweaking this bator can yield decent hatches.

Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by