Little Giant Incubator- Can One Reconstruct it?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by monarc23, Dec 25, 2008.

1. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Just curious here. I have an LG. I've considered making a homemade incubator HOWEVER I'm curious...how realistic would it be for me to use the main part of my LG incubator (the heating element & my new turner) however build a whole new bigger bottom for it?

Ergo, if it doesnt work out, I could easily just pop the top lid back on it's bottom.....but im hoping it might work and would love some oppinons. I'm curious about building it out of plastic and or cardboard (if cardboard i will seal it with tape so it isn't getting soaked by humidity).

The problem is i dont like how small the LG becomes once the turner is in, I'd like more space for my hydrometer, and to rig up my computer fan into it. PLUS maybe be able to add more eggs at one time.

Think it could work? Anyone tried it?

Again, using the heating element still attached to the LG lid top, and the turner, but just a new bottom homemade built. [​IMG]

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays by the way![​IMG]

Niki

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I don't see why you couldn't use the elements out of it and as to how you use them that is entirely how creative you are. I'd love to see what you do with it.
    K

3. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:My thoughts exactly! [​IMG] I will be posting pictures once it's done, I already bit the bullet. It needs some finishing touches, and more insulation on the top (as the top is wider than the incubator lid was) I probably wont get it finished until tomorrow. But it's looking decient so far. Turner fits nicely! [​IMG]

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I've thought about building a bigger one with room in it for the turner, a small divider and the hatching area next to it. It wouldn't need to be that much bigger and would be easier to take the eggs out of the turner for hatching without juggling the turner.

5. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:that's a nifty idea you should try it! [​IMG] I'm testing the temp flucutations now evne though it's not completley done yet, I've took some pictures, but it's not of the finished product so i'll post em all together when i finnally do finish it [​IMG]

6. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    This is what I use. I found an ice chest that was a little longer then the top of the LG. Cut slats in it so the top fits down tight. Cut the ice chest top down to cover the bottom opening that was left. It works great. I also bought a 4" fan to circulate the air, I point it away from the eggs into a corner of the chest.

I had a 100% hatch in it last time and have 8 eggs in it now due to hatch in two weeks.

7. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I don't know why it wouldn't work. I intend to do the same thing with a couple of Hova Bators. I think I can build something that will hold the temperatures better.

8. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I have a lot more to do to mine, but it looks great [​IMG]

I put my old PC fan in there (first time ever wiring it was easy lol) I have it blowing about 2 inches towards the roof so the wind hits the roof, then it blows to the left and to the right blowing right into the heating elements and down to the eggs.

My only problem i is need more insulation on the sides. The highest I can get the temp up to is 89.1 so I have some work cut out for me but I'm more than willing to do it. [​IMG]

Without the turner in there, I could easily hold 60+ chicken eggs, and I can only imagine how many coturnix quail eggs! LOL!

I'm thankful I have time until im getting my silkie eggs or i'd be panicing right now LOL!!!!

I'm considering putting it in my bathroom with the door shut so I can see how the temp reacts to that! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by