little giant incubator.....i am in need of some help...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jackrooster, May 25, 2010.

1. jackrooster

jackrooster Songster

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    i need some help from my back yard chicken members........ i have a little giant incubator and i cant get the humidity to where it is suppost to be i thought i just fill the little wells but aprrantly not........what do i do to get the humditiy up higher.........and i have an automaic turner and soo idk what to do??

2. silkydragon

silkydragon Songster

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    i have a lg and thats what i do but i dont have a hygrometer so idk what the humidity is in mine

3. PriceFamilyFarms

PriceFamilyFarms Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Henderson, NC
    keep the red caps in to start with. And use sponges for moisture. If you live in an area with little humidity you could try the dry incubation method alot of memebers swear by it.

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Songster

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    You can add wet sponges or wet towels. The key to humidity is surface area--terry cloth towels and sponges hold lots of water with LOTS of surface area.

Good luck!

5. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Songster

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    P.S. Please be careful about putting the vent plugs in. I always leave them out throughout the hatch. The babies need lots of oxygen while they're hatching--it's hard work. Closing the vent holes can suffocate them.

6. PriceFamilyFarms

PriceFamilyFarms Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Henderson, NC
    Quote:thanks!! I did not think of that. I have mine out because as you know, the humidity in NC is high enough..I have no water or sponges and my Lg stays between 40-45%

7. trilyn

trilyn Songster

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    I have no choice but to keep one vent partially covered, the other one is open. I use small baby food jar or mayo lids, with a small piece of sponge and water. The more the better, but don't cover up the little holes on the bottom. Surface are is the key to keeping the humidity up, like the other poster said! I also use thin slivers of sponges inside the wells themselves. A funnel with tubing that will fit through the larger vent holes to fill up the wells works great. I can't reach the lids, but that's okay. The sponges in the lids are usually wet until I pull the babies out. Also make sure the top of the bator lid is wedged on tight and the windows too. I used weatherstripping on one side and that sucker is wedged on good and tight. Other people use weights, totally your choice I think.

You do need a good hygrometer, they don't need to be expensive either. Petco has one in the reptile section for 4.99? I think that's how much it was, it calibrated perfectly and hasn't let me down yet. I do the dry hatch method and crank the humidity up on day 18 til they're done, the humidity gets over 65% and I let it. The temp stays around 98-99, forced air(installed a pc fan) and so far so good!!!! I actually really like the LG's(gotta have the turner though), had a bad first hatch, but once you know the quirks, it works fine. I'd rather have the temp a bit lower, than higher and it seems to be okay, around here a dry hatch works well. The humidity is naturally high and the reading on my hygrometer is around 20-30%.

Well, I can hear peeps and chirping coming from mine right now, two babies so far out of twelve have hatched!!!!

Last edited: May 25, 2010

8. gardenknitter

gardenknitter In the Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Well, to get the humidity where I wanted it in my LG I filled the troughs, then cut an overnight maxi pad into thirds, and soaked a piece in warm water and put it, waited to see how high it got, then added a second piece. Took two pieces for mine, then I soaked and added the third piece at hatch. Oh, and I kept one plug in until hatch and then took the second one out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by