Little Giant incubator piece of crap

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by primal woman, May 27, 2011.

1. primal woman

primal woman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2010
    Oregon
    Some time ago I read a web site of someone who recommended the Little Giant over the hovabator incubator. I bought one. It has had to be replaced once already as it was very unreliable in its temperature control. Later I bought the turner and it is less than 2 months old and it now is making a whining sound.

I do NOT recommend this brand.

2. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I have had 3 of them and one was great the other 2 I sold at the auction they were crap, fluctuated temps. The one I still have is a good one. It helps to keep them in a room with little ambient temp fluctuations.

3. ruffledfeathers1234

ruffledfeathers1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Athens, GA
    I don't recommend this brand either. The temps are too unpredictable and spike and drop frequently. I only had one good hatch useing an LG and that was out of sheer luck. I now have a Dicky cabinate incubator that works well.

4. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

If you enjoy spending money on fertile eggs that never hatch and/or watching your temp gauges fluctuate wildly, then the Little Giant egg killer is for you!!!

5. lavenderlakefarm

lavenderlakefarm Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    Go get yourself a genesis 1588, you won't be sorry.

6. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    The little Giant is truly a piece of junk. I got a new incubator and DH wanted me to sell my LG. I just wont do that to some unsuspecting soul.

7. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I will take all of your LG and Hova that you do not like.. just send them to me.. PM me for my address..

there is a way to set 'em and forget 'em..

8. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I've had mine since I was 9 years old, so it's been in use steadily for 17 years. I've had to replace the windows in top, I added a computer fan for air circulation, and changed the wafer thermostat over to the solidstat thermostat. I have 8 chicks out of 8 eggs set hatching right now out of it.

9. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. You can get a good one but it is rare especially the newer ones. I bought a Sportsman 500 GQF it is great. Sportsman 500= $600.00 LG= $60.00 any questions?

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  10. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:I have run a battery of 8 of them at a time,, I also run 3 sportsmans.. I must be a lucky blind squirrel, because all of mine run just great..

just because you cannot figure out how to make one work, don't assume that they are no good..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by