Little Giant Incubator w/ Homemade Fan??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BeckyBird, Jun 10, 2008.

1. BeckyBird

BeckyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Hi all! I already have a Little Giant w/ fan, but this question is actually for my sister-in-law.

She wants to buy a Little Giant, and I told her it really should have a fan for better results. I was wondering, if you could rig a computer fan to put inside the incubator? She has lots of spare computer parts around the house, and a spare computer fan would be better than a $30 Little Giant fan kit, right? Has anybody ever tried to make their own fan kit, and do you think this would work?

Thanks!
    Becky

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Yes, you can use a computer fan but no it is not better than the LG fan except for the
    price.

3. imprimis

imprimis Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    The Thumb, MI
    I put one in mine and it works great. I even keep it in my garage and the fan seems to keep the temps more consistent even with major fluctuations in outside temperatures. The hardest thing adding it was trying to find a spot for it where there was room in the lid. I kept it spaced about 3/4" from the surface of the cover, aimed the air flow down toward the eggs, and rigged up a deflector shield so the air would not blow directly on the eggs.....

BTW, this is day 8 for my first 9 mutt eggs, candled them tonight, saw movement in all nine!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  4. BeckyBird

BeckyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Thanks for all your help! I will pass the word on to my sister-in-law:)

5. lynxs1981

lynxs1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    I know this is an old post, but wanted to add some information for anyone who looked across this. If you add your own fan, set it so it blows at the roof. This will circulate the warm air over the coil, down the sides, and back up into the eggs; much better results.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by