Little giant incubator.

Jenessa_096

Crowing
Jul 14, 2021
Molalla, Oregon
Hey all! I have never hatched eggs before in an incubator. Since we have enough chicks this year, I’ve decided to put testing off until next year. But I have a couple of questions.. First of all, both of my ducklings turned out to be drakes. Should I try hatching duck eggs or or chicken eggs easier? Also I have a little giant incubator, I know it’s not the best but I want to experiment with that one. Has anyone ever used one and, if you have do you have any tricks or tips? Last question, if I do chicken eggs do you guys recommend taking my own eggs, or buying them somewhere. Is it not worth it buying eggs online for a first timer? Thanks in advance!! 😁

I have a Little Giant still air styrofoam one. I have recently bought one of those Harris Farm's 360's though. With the Little Giant it's best to have more then one thermometer in it, because there are area's in it that are cooler then other area's. I use a battery operated temp and humidity combination one in mine. Are you using an automatic turner in yours also?

Well, with an automatic turner, it will help, as you won't have to be hand rotating them every day. You do remove the turner when it's time for you to do the lock-down though. That way you only have to worry about the temp and humidity that going on, and since you won't be opening up the lid to do all of that hand turning, less of your humidity is escaping.
That’s what I thought, I might as well buy it. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I have 2 LGs one I have added a fan and an automatic Turner to. If you do not have a fan make make sure to rotate eggs between the inner area and the edges. My edges can be several degrees cooler. They have changed the style of the thermostat a few times, so I don't know which type you have but make sure it is away from the direct heat and you have extra thermometers to test the temperature at the top of the eggs. Ignore the direction about adding water, and if I remember right the gage on the incubator does not claim to be accurate until over 60 You need to adjust your humidity based on days and environment. For the first 17 days for chickens 24 for ducks your humidity should be between 30 and 40. I have used it enough that I know that here that means no water. You will probably want to buy a hydrometer that works better than the one on the incubator to see what your environment needs. During lock down you need to raise the humidity between 60-70. Depending on the time of year I achieve this by filling all the water channels. If you have a dryer environment you may need to add sponges or even wash clothes to create more water surface area. I find that the only difference between hatching chickens and ducks is time. Both days to hatch and pip to hatch.

No, but I might buy one, is it worth it? Also, how do you keep the humidity up? I turned it on and I couldn’t get the humidity higher than about 40%...

Well, with an automatic turner, it will help, as you won't have to be hand rotating them every day. You do remove the turner when it's time for you to do the lock-down though. That way you only have to worry about the temp and humidity that going on, and since you won't be opening up the lid to do all of that hand turning, less of your humidity is escaping.

Back
Top Bottom