little giant incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hellafarms, Sep 7, 2009.

1. hellafarms

hellafarms Chillin' With My Peeps

anyone ever used a little giant incubator?I just got one just curious if anyone has had good luck with one or not.I went ahead and got the auto turner everthing I read about hatching says you needs a hygrometer maybe thats why I never had no luck so far hatching.

2. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    LG HERE AND AWESOME HATCHES...yes I have a hygrometer...calibrate it first!!!!

1/2 cup SALT
    1/4 water
    stir well

place in zip lock bag, entire cup with mixture
    and also hygrometer in next to the cup

seal bag, and wait 12hrs...should read at the end of the test 75% if not...then you will have to add/subtract the difference to equal the 75

Mine is off 8% and the other one 15%, they cant be fixed, but can be used. LG is touchy...should I send you mail on how I hatch in mine???
    And I added a fan to my LG...I went to radio shack and bought the cheapest fan they have for computers...7.99, easy to put on...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I placed the cord in through one of the small holes...if you make more holes it messes with your humidty and temps.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  3. 19Dawn76

19Dawn76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Toadsuck, AR
    I just traded for one of these. I have not used it yet though. It does not have an egg turner.

Where do you get a hygrometer?

4. 2txmedics

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    walmart...they are about 6.-8.00...they are where towards hardware, where they keep the themos. for checking temps outside...do u know what they look like? Should have temp and humidity very easy to use.

here found a picture...you can barely see mine here, but gives you an idea

[​IMG]

5. jthayerkatz

jthayerkatz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Holland, MA
    have only used LG and had 100% hatch to date. hygrometers are available at Walmart or your local hardware store with the thermometers. the knob for adjusting temp. is very touchy, make only small movements but once it is in the right spot, if room temp is consistant it holds the temp. very well.
    Humidity is very important for a good hatch, definately get a hygrometer. [​IMG]

6. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Quote:Shouldn't that be salt instead of sugar?

I got my digital hygrometer from Walmart, Springfield was the brand, it was $6.49 I think.

7. 2txmedics

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    Yikes!!!! yes, SALT...sorry medication kicking in now....

ok, heres a better picture

[​IMG]

gosh Im glad u caught that....would be wasting time and a possible hatch

8. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Only caught because I checked mine again today, instead of 5% off it was actually 15% off! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    But it's ok, I have a regular non digital one in there with it that seems to be right on the money, it's the only reason I noticed my first calibration wasn't right [​IMG]

9. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    which hygrometer would you recommend me? I've bought hygrometers but they don't work well! I want one that doesn't messes up

10. 2txmedics

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    I hate when I buy something and expect it to work...and doesnt...I have to mark mine so I dont mix them up 8% off and 15% off....

I have good hatches with my LG

also have 2 hovabators as of 2wks ago, havent used yet...one only 25.00 on CL complete, the other free from a friend.

ABOUT HYGROMETERS:
    MOST ALL OF THEM DO NOT WORK RIGHT. DONT KNOW IF ITS SOMETHING IN SHIPPING OR THE PACKING OF IT, OR MAYBE THE AREA ITS IN WHEN ITS MADE...BUT THERE ARE ALL MOSTLY OFF...SO ALWAYS CALIBRATE. THERE IS NO 'FIXING' IT...YOU LEARN TO USE IT BY GETTING YOUR READING AND THEN ADDING/SUBTR. THE NUMBER OFF TO GET YOUR ACTUAL READING.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by