Little Giant Incubator????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tiff A., May 1, 2011.

1. Tiff A.

Tiff A. Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Jackson
    Need feedback on the little giant incubator. Chickens are a new hobbie (or obsession) not sure yet;) So I thought the little giant would be good for me simply because it's not expensive. Would love more info.

Tiffany

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Buying one of those is crap shoot pure and simple. You may get a good one, but the chances are better you will get a bad one.

3. Tiff A.

Apr 23, 2011
    Jackson
    That's what I needed to know!

4. agstanley

agstanley Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2008
    Conway, MO
    I've used Little Giant incubators for many years....As a matter of fact, I've a couple loaded with Dutch Bantam eggs now. I also use them for hatchers.

Like any other appliance out there, operator skill is the determining factor in success. They're tricky, and have to be monitored. You can't just load and go. You have to set them in the right place (no drafts), and watch deligently for temperature fluctuations. Hatching is not as difficult as one would have you believe, but it takes skill and attention to detail, to handle these little tabletop models.

They are inexpensive, and a great tool by which to learn....before you sink a lot of money into a larger bator.

Good luck!

Angela Stanley
    Rockgate Farm

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  5. Tiff A.

Apr 23, 2011
    Jackson
    Thanks Angela! I will let you know what I decide to do....

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:I agree with Angela, they do require more attention than the auto-bators, but are still something you don't want to fiddle with too much. Patience is required, their reaction time to temp changes is rather slow. I use one for a hatcher, it's been rock solid sine I installed the add on fan kit.

7. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    LG 's are good bators.. You have to take the time to learn how to operate them.. Temperature and humidity control is hampered by the "seal" where the top sets on the bottom..

I run a piece of duct tape around that crack and you would be amazed at the improvement ..

also run the incubator completely without water to set the temp to 100F.. then add the water and do not mess with the temp setting again.. your bator will never spike above 100F if you do this..

you can control your temp with the water..

this also works with the Hovabators

Last edited: May 1, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by