Little Giant Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by silkiesnOTTBs, Apr 12, 2012.

1. silkiesnOTTBs

silkiesnOTTBs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    I put 3 eggs in the little giant incubator from tractor supply. One egg was infertile, the second one died and the third one hatched!! Anyone have anything hatch lately??

2. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    First of all, [​IMG]

And I'm sorry about you're 2 losses, it happens sometimes :/

And last, yes! I have hatched! today! I hatched 4 Swedish Ducklings :D 4/4 eggs hatched.
    I'll post pictures when they are cute and fluffy :D

3. gwendalynn28

gwendalynn28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    [​IMG]
    I had seven eggs in my Little Giant forced air incubator and these three chicks hatched out last Friday! I had trouble keeping the humidity high enough during lockdown because the tiny water trays at the bottom are not sufficient for keeping the humidity so high over a three day period! Any one have any suggestions for raising humidity in a Little Giant? I started another batch of eggs this morning and right now the humidity is good, between 40-50%.

4. Lucky1

Lucky1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    What about buying a replacement tray from a hova bator model incubator and putting it in the bottom to replace the L.G's?? I have a 1602n and the tray has perfect humidity levels when you fill the spots they tell you too, and if you live in a more or less humid environment then there are smaller and bigger indents.

5. silkiesnOTTBs

silkiesnOTTBs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    Don't even bother buying anything. Take a small container that will fit a sponge or washcloth in it and soak the cloth/sponge. Then fill the dish up along w the trays in the bottom of the incubator. If you notice in the bottom of the little giant there are holes - try putting caulk in those to have a giant thing for water. I've used the dish and sponge method with warm water with the egg turner and because it turns so slowly, I've had no issues. If you do want to do anything, by a humidifier for your room in the house. Works well to just try and adjust the whole room. The reason the incubators loose humidity is because of equilibrium. Fix the equilibrium, fix your problem :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by