Little Giant Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChicknBaron, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Yessir, and proud of it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nope, but i should get one

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ChicknBaron

ChicknBaron Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Marysville KS
    i just recently purchased a "little Giant" still air incubator. Now, i have some questions about a few things, so, anybody, even you shy people, if you have one like i do and can give me some good advice it'd be much appreciated! Question #1: It says, in the instructions, that on the last three days of incubation, do not turn the eggs, and take out the two red plugs in the top to let more air circulation occur. BUT, when i tested it before the eggs were put in and took out the two red plug things then it let out all the humidity! So HOW am i suppose to raise the humidity at the same time the air circulation will bring it down![​IMG] Ya pickin up what I'm throwin down so far??[​IMG] Any Suggestions, please dont be shy, the eggs are on schedule to hatch in like 18 or 19 days so PLEASE comment ASAP. As always PPA! (personal preferences appreciated) p.s. If i left anything out then tell me and i can fill you in

Oh, and while were were on the subject, who out there thinks that those "little giant" bators do pretty good considering how cheep they are!

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I've got one! Check out this thread. Lots of good ideas!

3. cochins1088

cochins1088 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    I have a still air hova bator which is pretty similar. When you tested it, did you add water to the other trays to up the humdity? If you truly can't control it with the plugs open, I would keep them closed hatch. I have forgotten that step a couple of times and it didn't affect the hatches, it's just to make sure the chicks are getting enough oxygen and I open it twice a day during the hatch to remove chicks anyways. And I love it for the price. I wish I could buy one of those completely automated ones that keep constant tempatures and humidity with no work on your part, but those run $300+ easy which I can't afford. I got a 95% hatch rate for my first hatch, the rest were lower, inbetween 60 - 80% but thats still pretty good for a $35 incubator.

4. ChicknBaron

Sep 12, 2012
    Marysville KS
    Yah, i put as much water in the trays as i could and then added and extra pan with a sponge in it and that just barely keeps it above 58% so im not sure how i'll get it up to 70% later??? But yes they are very nice to have for the price we pay for them! Thanks for the input!!

5. ChicknBaron

Sep 12, 2012
    Marysville KS
    @pyxis: thanks for the thread! Tons of info. and very helpful![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by